It's 2023, *please* give us discrete graphics options

It’s a bit of an open-ended statement here. To be fair, they do support a loose variant of fine-tuning through post-effects and others but, anything past that would be a large, steep learning curve. In graphics, it’s really hard to implement simple to use things (outside of what they already provided) and it’s harder trying to convey that to clients / players of different device types and whatnot. Even more-so if you look at how rigid the graphics pipeline actually is.

I definitely support better graphic control but, you have to realize that it’s a huge technical challenge that more than likely requires a full rewrite of their existing graphics pipeline. And that’s for the 1-2% that may take advantage of it in the first place.

Higher-resolution texture support (4K) would be a nice alternative and improve the feel of most games without as much work. I use “as much” loosely here because there’s probably gotchas all over the place.

I think this all boils down to two things: feature parity across all supported platforms and consistency.

1 Like

It’s still a bit weird that the discrete graphics menu is a literal working feature that exists, but yet it simply isn’t part of the platform because Roblox chooses not to do anything with it for some reason.

Because this exact menu in the video is literality what everyone here is asking for, but yet it’s just not being added to the platform since…they just don’t feel like it?

I don’t get why people have to ask at this point.

I’m kinda hoping it’s just in alpha-testing or something, since throwing away a feature like that would be a complete waste tbh.

11 Likes

I would really need a render distance feature where I can see far away without having to put my graphics quality up and lagging.

3 Likes

What’s the problem with this? Put them in a menu below the slider, is it really that hard?

1 Like

Maybe there’s technical limitations with providing this granularity without also exposing it to scripting? Such sliders would be implementation details and prone to changing, which would break code if accessible. But I’m grasping at straws, surely it’s not just some out of touch PM who doesn’t even use the platform, let alone on an older device, right?

Sure would be nice to actually hear literally anything from the rendering team on this though. Literally anything. Even a non-answer.

4 Likes

You can hope it’s not just an out of touch PM :slightly_smiling_face:

One of the replies to this thread shows the feature was already implemented in an old experimental branch but got abandoned.

1 Like

This is what we actually want, even if my computer manages to run everything on the highest settings, but we have to mention that not everyone got NASA computers. We want different options for everything like how we got on Minecraft, Fortnite, Need for Speed and other big games. If people are too young and they are scared they will mess up the settings, just add an option to choose from a premade preset of graphic settings, or you can make your custom preset, like how Need for Speed implemented their graphic settings. This is what I’m talking about (screenshots took from Need for Speed Heat):

This would be life saving for computers with low end specs.

Edit: I’m pretty sure Roblox doesn’t wanna add this because it would break games that use SavedQualityLevel, because there will be more graphic settings. One way is to have all sliders go from 1 to 10, and they make an average with all those settings and they assign it to the SavedQualityLevel property.

6 Likes

I cannot agree more as a mid-range/mid-end PC and smartphone user.

It seems Roblox wants to automate settings for you based on your device and while this idea sounds feasible, I do not want to go with the flow. I might not be satisfied with whatever configurations the client applies to itself for optimal usage and I fear that I won’t be able to manually change it. I want total, manual control and I want a lot of control. I want to control whatever I can without disturbing experience mechanics.

I use many applications and throughout history, in my own experience, Roblox has been the king of the hill of memory consumption, even compared with other three-dimensional games and even on the lowest possible graphics settings. Memory consumption reduction efforts are just not enough. My smartphone heats up so badly on an average top-page experience, it’s horrific. I own lots of apps on my smartphone, I do not experience that on anything else. My PC also experiences a bit of a performance degrade, gets a bit laggy.

Smartphone: Samsung M51
PC Specs: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 16 GB, NVDIA GeForce RTX 3050

If Roblox were to introduce the ability for us to change a lot of discrete graphic settings, I would utilize it so that I feel like I’m actually using an application and not a campfire degrading my device’s battery life and performance.

I haven’t read much of the previous topic replies, because, who’s going to seriously read 80+ topic replies, but I don’t even want to imagine someone playing a top page experience on a low-end device. Must be burning…

7 Likes

I wish they bought back the option to use ZFeautureHarmony.

2 Likes

I personally think it needs to be manageble by developers using something like “GraphicsTaskPriority” and something with distance with default values set by Roblox, but managable by developers.
If developers prioritise Water to become transparent, they should then be able to give Water a higher priority. Telling Roblox that water must appear transparent at lower graphics settings.
(Water has been a huge issue for me; to a point some parts can sometimes look more beautiful than non transparent water.)
Or make developers able to change the quality of certain reflections or shadows, to let the rendering engine perform less calculations.

A lot can be done; but right now there are only a few Technology options. It would be great if they could break down the technology options into different parts.

Something for a distance at which shadows will show; a distance at which particles will show; a distance at which water will be transparent and the quality of the shadows. (Like how it calculates them.)

I think a lot more is possible, I personally hate looking at my games on low graphics. In the end I think it’s still better to let developers balance the graphics per use case.

Like what if they just tried it as a beta feature?
I think there isn’t much stopping Roblox from doing this, except for the fact that they would have to break down current lighting technologies.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you. Other games have much better graphics and user control.

I’m not sure about what the technical challenges are with making this happen, but discrete graphics options has been the standard in… almost any game released in the last 10 years. I don’t really see why roblox is content with keeping simply the bar and automatic toggle.

Automatic settings as the default with the option to press a button next to it to expose discrete graphics options would allow for the best ux. Automation can only do so much, I mean, look at moderation, specially with something as subjective as “looks”.

Per-game graphics profiles would also be amazing with this, but even just getting a proper reason as to why we don’t have discrete graphics options itself seems to be an uphill battle. I do not consider it being a “kid’s” platform as a proper reason, fortnite and minecraft are prime examples of games that have these settings while being primarily targeted towards kids/teens.

5 Likes

I dont know how roblox STILL doesnt have discrete graphics

half-life 1 has this, every game in the last 20 years does, dont know why we still have a doom 1993 syle or flash game style “quality” setting
this isnt papa’s pizzaria, this is a full 3d game

10 Likes

This is still a very much needed and a highly requested feature. Please look into this roblox.

9 Likes

They should enable this for everyone and just have it hidden under an “Advanced Settings” button right under the graphics settings slider

5 Likes

They actually do have it since there’s a video showcasing this feature in Roblox Studio that you can find after scrolling upward through the replies a little bit.

The problem is that they’ve chosen not to release it to the public even though it’s functional and working for some reason, which is leaving a lot of people confused tbh.

I get that they’re pursing a direction where graphics quality is automated based on the user’s device, but the discrete graphics setting is just better honestly.

1 Like

thats a horrible idea, games always either overestimate computers or underestimate them
also you can overclock GPUs and some ROBLOX games need different settings

4 Likes

It blows my mind that this still doesn’t exist. They have made a video proving that it is possible, so… why isn’t it here? Almost every game in the past 2 decades has this. Why doesn’t Roblox just implement what they already made before?

9 Likes

I disagree. This complicates the UX far too much and is not needed. Furthermore, this would require drawing more UI, which increases memory and GPU usage.

1 Like

This is not an issue if you get the new Mac Pro with 128 gigabytes of Unified Memory and the new M3 processing chip…