Creator Roadmap: Fall 2024 Edition

Glad to hear you’re excited for this! I don’t think we’ve given much more information than this in any forum, but we plan on releasing soon, so stay tuned! :tv:

7 Likes

very excited for community templates. There’s nothing i love more than stea— learning from the workflows of others :happy4:

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FINAALLYYYYYYY

3 Likes

I think that

means that we will get to reorganize it

1 Like

Hey! Lots of incredible things in the works here, glad to see it!

Are there any plans to allow Nearest Neighbor filtering for Materials/Surface Appearance/Decals etc?

This is a long overdue feature, and the platform would greatly benefit from it!

7 Likes

Heard about animation constraints at RDC and I am SO wickedly stoked about them. They’re going to drive the entire direction of my game going forwards. I’ve craved physically simulated custom alien characters ever since I learned how to read. Static animations are too flat and restrictive, these will make my childhood dream almost trivially easy to achieve. Combine them with aerodynamics and fluid dynamics down the line and we can have entirely physically simulated birds and fish that respond realistically to world interactions.

6 Likes

Hoping a mobile version of studio might come about sometime. Even if it was a scaled down thing, or if you could only do a limited amount of things, for instance, just changing code. Maybe even allow that in the creator hub if that isn’t possible. I’m not optimistic about a mobile roblox studio coming anytime soon, but I just wanna get my voice out there.

2 Likes

a low emd version meant to replace voxel, they showed it at RDC??

just use vinegar for now as it still works enough with studio

Cool
I assume it doesn’t work for skinned meshes?

1 Like

Most of those hangs for me are triggered when the engine still uses the oldschool method of rendering part selections instead of doing what selectionboxes do when dragging parts with welding enabled

Isn’t this already out? It’s appeared to me in the latest version for PlayStation

The most intensive game I own is Project Zomboid and it manages to run better than roblox. It is a mix of Java 15 and Lua and it STILL beats Roblox in performance. You know why? Rendering optimization and multithreading. It used to run notoriously bad like how Minecraft 1.21 does or how Roblox does now since the renderer was based on 2011 code. You know what they did? Instead of rewriting all of the Java code in Lua (the language some game logic and all addons use) they actually tackled the issue of still using OpenGL 2 with a bad renderer and upgraded the renderer to need 3.3 and heavily optimized it. That made it so the game can run well on my 2008 C2d desktop I have, every non-netbook laptop I’ve used, my main computer, and it does that all on 1080p.

Like Minecraft and old Project Zomboid, Roblox has this issue due to not optimizing their rendering and instead of solving it like PZ did they decided to rewrite native code in Lua (which might I add doesn’t have native compilation on clients)

Not true at all! I’ve used the 2016 playerscripts, playerscripts I’ve made myself, and the 2018 ones and guess what? All of them are the same speed. The playerscripts are as fast as they were in 2018. That doesn’t make sense for a game engine that started to slow down right around when they started using React.

A modern browser engine runs JavaScript very fast (have you seen Webkit & Safari 12’s speed on Leopard with leopard-webkit?). Roblox does use React with Lua and it, in fact has 20 trillion dependencies. I’ve tried to modify the 2020 corescripts and I went crazy just copying require dependencies from the ExtraContent folder.

9 Likes

It’s not written in the roadmap here but we’re definitely aware that after fixing the Explorer / Properties logic the poor selection rendering performance is the next problem down the line regarding selection.

4 Likes

are there ever gonna be plans of being able to make shaders?
i know about a post of why it wouldnt happen (because of the lighting effects that were gonna be added) but that was a long time ago, and we havent had anything new like that, being able to write shaders would be amazing

1 Like

I know this might be an old thing, but am I the only one who despises the new roadmap style?

Like why are the categories trying to give me a sales pitch for something I’m already using? I miss the old concise list that simply shows everything as live, on track or delayed. The roadmap is meant for existing users not for new ones.

9 Likes

WAIT WHAT

7 Likes

While I cannot comment on this project or its status (we have multiple separate teams here), but you might want to look into xpcall if you are looking into enriching the returned error information.

4 Likes

Just letting you guys know, the creator roadmap page still takes you to the Summer 2024 Roadmap.

2 Likes

Where would this ban apply to and would this type of ban support alt account detection like the BanAPI system?
I assume it bans them from joining the community but would this ban also extend to any forums or experiences under that community?