Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

Exactly. Before you could atleast earn those robux and buy it, 1700 isnt even that bad
But NOT everyone on roblox are 18+ LEFT ALONE NOT EVERYONE GOT 30 BUCKS…

Majority of animation community on roblox are 13-15 years, might be wrong
So this change from roblox is crazy.

I Could waste those 30 bucks on food or a game on steam instead :sob:

3 Likes

I genuinely do not find this update useful, it’s basically limiting the market to people under <18 which if you look at some developers such as @hazzem, who is underage, they are really popular. Making this update is practically just putting a end to the plugin marketplace, sure it won’t be instant but I do think it will make way more unprofitable than it already is.

This is also a really big issue as you can’t publish a feature that requires payment if you don’t even support every type of currency. As I said before, another way of limiting the market for plugins.

Another really good argument. If this is gonna remain ( hope not ) we should have automatic conversion that will turn 10$ into the local currency that is either cheaper or expensive depending on the conversion rate, so its fair for everyone and everyone pays the same price for the same tool.

I really think that with this change we should at least get a Developer Exchange Payment increase as well. If we don’t get a DevEx Payment increase starting to make good high-quality plugins might just start being as profitable if not more, than making games. ( I do not see this being a good thing )

Overall this new update sucks, I don’t find it fair limiting the marketplace to some people. I feel it would make it a little better, to at least let us choose between Real Money and Robux as the price format.

11 Likes

Yup. Some probably want to sell it for robux because they know some people cannot buy plugins. Personally, I would sell for USD because you get more revenue out of it. I am not at least 18 though.

5 Likes

Really? Roblox is improving their old ahh engine that can’t handle any new update without something breaking? Source?

1 Like

This whole thing makes no sense, so if I’m hearing this right.

I use Robux for developer products, gamepasses, stuff on the catalog
I use USD to buy Robux and plugins.
Those plugins I use to make games which give me Robux.
But I can’t use the Robux I earned to buy more plugins.

Now explain to me why we have Robux?

4 Likes

I warned you guys about this. I talked about this in the past. This update is not gonna bring anything positive. It’s going to be overwhelmingly negative and it’s going to bring many dangers that previously we have never seen before. Revert this update as soon as possible.

9 Likes

how about this the average Salary where i live is start from 80-150 USD$ imagine spending 30 USD$ which’s around 30% of my salary in a roblox-stuido plugin that’s funny lol

7 Likes

It is at least for us living in Brazil.

1 USD = ~5 Brazilian Reais.

So let’s get a plugin that costs $10. That would be paying 50R$ for a single plugin that you’re not even sure if you are going to use it frequently.

Now let’s compare this 50R$ to other services here in Brazil.

Most streaming services here in Brazil had to include regional pricing to make prices fair for us since the USD value is high.

Instead of paying 6.99 USD that would be converted to 35R$/month, it has been changed to 18,90R$/month.

So paying for a 10 USD plugin is 50R$ and paying for a single streaming service is far lower than that. Roblox doesn’t have regional pricing so it hurts us even more who are trying to not spend a lot.

Another example could be the Twitch subscription prices.
Before they added regional pricing, a sub costed us 22,99R$ and they had to change it to 7,90R$ which is VERY lower and more accessible for us. So this explains my concern on why this change affects us so badly.

6 Likes

I guess it is time to make a paid plugin and watch as no one buys it because most young developers might not even have a credit card to use to get those plugins…

2 Likes

That’s totally fair. My reply didn’t account for countries with weaker currencies. Hopefully, the team will introduce regional pricing so plugin creators can account for countries like Brazil. I know this is something that a few top creators have been asking for.

2 Likes

It seems that USD is the only supported currency by the new transactions page, anything else breaks it:

It’s caused by this error:

The error leads to an if statement that checks if the currency is USD:

3 Likes

Yeah my Transactions page is very broken right now too. It isn’t showing me incoming transactions anymore.

3 Likes

Ngl I’m having the same issues, they said I have to contact you guys and get this fixed, but it odd that I have too, and I can’t set it up VIA self-service.

1 Like

No more aspiring developers on Roblox! Like, seriously? I have used a lot of plugins in my games when I was a beginner (even tho I’m still) I bought them for robux which I earned from my “worse” experience to make it better using several plugins… and now… I can’t anymore, seriously. Around 42% of Roblox’s daily active users are <13, and now it is way harder for them to become a decent developer, not everyone has money, right? mostly robux. My suggestion is to make an option to purchase the plugin with USD or R$. Just like the old TIX system.

10 Likes

I don’t know what kind of death threats you’re talking about, first time hearing about it
Yeah plugins were cheap because a lot of people bought them?? So it wasn’t even much of a loss considering the people who bought plugins are mostly made up of developers who don’t buy robux with real cash (including me)

When did we rip plugin developers off? If they were getting ripped off that seriously they could’ve considered other ways of monetization, I’m fine with buying the plugin for real cash if it’s good but as I mentioned on my previous post I literally can’t because my country isn’t “supported” (I guess they can’t take my money for plugins but they can for robux)

This still doesn’t change the fact that its going to hurt plugin developers more than before

You are forgetting the fact that a massive amount of players bought plugins for robux, and I mean a lot of players; but with the new change that’s not going to happen because as I mentioned above it’s literally not supported in some countries, and I don’t think anyone would spend real cash for a plugin (I’m not including stuff like Moon Animator though, those plugins are actually underappreciated and I would love to see them get more than they deserve).

Besides, how did you even sell your plugins off platform? I would be interested in buying them off platform since Roblox doesn’t support my country.

2 Likes

A loss for plugin creators or the consumers?

The community overvaluing Robux and pressuring plugin developers to lower the price of their plugins to be worth a very small amount.

1 Like

We have a fix in progress for this, thanks for reporting.

1 Like

I may be out of the loop, but did developers (assuming you meant that over players, because players should not be buying plugins) just buy a stash of random, cheap plugins? You really should only buy plugins you know you will use and you know you will deliver a return on investment. The sales of my and other’s plugins on Itch.io show people will actually pay for plugins when they deliver a value to them.

Right now, countries that can’t buy or sell are the minority. It sucks, I get that, but there is an alternative I’m surprised has not come up: maybe ask the plugin owner nicely for a copy? It’s ever that or you need sky-high Robux prices to make the same revenue.

Itch.io is where we mostly did it, and continue to do it because of “pay what you want” pricing. I don’t think any of us plan to take down our listings because of that.

1 Like

Supply and demand. The reason why people valued plugins as low as in hundreds of robux was because the supply was virtually limitless. At the same time the demographic that demanded this product couldn’t afford to spend a lot of robux/USD on individual products. Finally, the demographics in question (that could afford them) were niche. With this update the consumer base for plugins which costed robux but now cost USD will be much smaller than before.

3 Likes