Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

If subscriptions are also purchased in USD, why aren’t we not getting a 90% cut?

4 Likes

With all these updates Roblox is getting to a point where it is starting to feel discriminatory. Now that people in certain countries can’t sell plugins, people under 18 can’t sell plugins, and now only people who have enough money can purchase them. Idk how this benefits anyone at all it just makes it more upsetting for everyone

3 Likes

In other words, DevEx rates along with the 30% platform tax don’t sufficiently pay creators.

This also just adds another roadblock for young creators who may not have the means to pay for plugins using real money, and may only have Robux. If a new creator wants to purchase a plugin, instead of earning enough to buy the plugin with Robux, they have to earn 30,000 Robux, have a bank account, be of age for DevEx, wait to be accepted, cash out the Robux, wait until that clears up, then, they can finally buy a plugin. And that’s after DevEx rates and the 30% platform tax.
This update only works in favor of very successful adult plugin creators – who deserve to get paid fairly – and companies. It hurts everyone else, even young plugin developers, who just want to make enough Robux to buy a cool hat.

7 Likes

I think this perfectly represents all under 18 plugin developers on Roblox right now

1 Like

This update is stupid

7 Likes

This! A lot of people seem to be completely oblivious to this, the few at the top – and their sycophants – especially.

4 Likes

I uploaded my first plugin to the Creator Store today and am absolutely blown away by the difference that the USD change has made to my earnings.

Huge love and appreciation for the team behind this update. I’m very hopeful for a future where plugin and asset pack development can become my full time job, and a potential business.

1 Like

Thanks to this update, I felt inspired to develop a new VisTool Suite at an affordable price.

I currently only have a LOD system, but I intend on implementing a Occlusion Culler at no extra cost in the near future!

The link to it can be found here:

Those earnings are not likely to last in the long run. With this update many people are gonna turn away from plugins and learn how to do things for themselves for free with tutorials , may take longer but it’s more worth than spending real USD on it, without a option for robux, this just killed plugins for most small developers and just about everyone under 18. The real USD can be prioritized elsewhere which is why sales will eventually drop down below worst expectations, this is the beginning of the end for plugins , and maybe Roblox studio is starting to fail too

This is all true! Even the ad manager was a terrible update when the older ad system/sponsor system was a lot more effective in my experience with it, and less expensive in robux. Honestly no plugin is worth over $4-10 Max, anything a plugin can do we can learn to do for free manually, just time consuming but it’s time consuming that saves money in the long term. This update was horrible to the core and only benefits big creators, most small developers don’t have funds readily available like that for plugins or really anything like this. Ik it’s only plugins we are complaining about but we have to put a stop to this now before these updates continue on to other features and eventually it will be the end of studio as we know it

3 Likes

If a plugin can save a developer their time and money, or provides them something of value then why wouldn’t they buy it? It works in other marketplaces like Blender, Unreal and Unity.

This is a fantastic update that enables asset and tool creators to be paid fairly for the creation and upkeep of quality plugins. Being incentivised to create bigger and better plugins is only going to be better for the development environment as a whole.

1 Like

this aint unity/unreal where its generally more professional and studio level devs come in. Roblox on the other hand has much bigger young audience. young audience is NOT ready for this change.

5 Likes

While it may be true that helps earnings for those qualified a bit better, but what’s earnings if plugins are on the decline? I predict paid plugins will start to be purchased/used a whole lot less than before because most small developers don’t have the real funds for plugins, and if they do the USD is better prioritized elsewhere either on ads or In real life. Anything a plugin can do, developers can learn to do/ emulate manually for free over time and sometimes even better, which makes paying for plugins with USD not worth it in the long run. Now if they were to add a sell for robux option this would be different and people wouldn’t be so mad, what they should’ve done is kept it as robux or made it where you can purchase it for robux and USD and let developers get 100% of the robux made from selling plugins if it is bought with robux. Instead they decided to cut out most small developers and most people under 18 and most people who simply can’t afford to spend real USD on a simple plugin.

I don’t think plugins are on the decline.

Paid plugins are a convenience and are generally created to target professional markets, super users, and established creators who are already making profitable projects.

Time is money. Buying a plugin could save a developer hours of learning and emulation, and it’s up to the customer to quantify that. If a developer can do something better than a plugin provides, then that’s awesome. Some plugins that can save their users time, and money, repeatedly are absolutely worth it in the long run and exponentially so the more that they are utilized.

Buying into the Robux economy, and Developer Exchange isn’t 1:1. Plugin developers keeping 100% of the Robux is still significantly less than the USD value of the plugin.

If a customer buys 1000 Robux for $10, the seller would cash out $3.50. Sales through USD allow creators to earn nearly 3x as much for assets at the same price point.

A solution would be to raise the Robux price nearly 3x as much to match the USD value at developer exchange, but that would also be unfair to younger developers because they’d be paying more for the same tools.

2 Likes

I second this. As a developer based in Russia I have already expressed my heavy distaste over this update on my behalf and on the behalf of several developer friends of mine based in Brazil. This change effectively cripples the ability of developers from those countries to buy plugins, with potentially many more countries, and their developers respectively, affected (Goes without saying that Brazil and Russia aren’t the only countries with poor USD conversion rates)

5 Likes

The difference is that those plugins are worth the money, You need to be cray to spend $4 on a plugin that converts parts into mesh parts.

This wouldn’t even be a valid point if roblox just paid devs what they deserve :roll_eyes:

Roblox has more people who aren’t age verified than they do verified, this update only hurts small plugin devs who now can’t make any money off of their hard work unless they sell their plugins off-site for robux.

Ah yes, putting my card information into a 3rd party to buy something is much more convenient then clicking the buy button and spending the robux thats already in my account…

Erm actually

This problem can be fixed so quickly, Roblox can just make the robux price mirror the USD price. (Or… yk they could let the plugin dev choose how to sell it… like a normal company would…)

4 Likes

If people don’t know, Parcel, MyPod, Vendr, and ClearlyDevs has been taken over the product hub handling industry, and this just means, people will be selling their plugins for robux and not USD if they are underage or cannot use USD.

This is similar to Itch platform, where you can sell it with USD. If anything, this is more of “getting people off of the roblox platform” then actually keeping people on the platform. Now, if we look at the Roblox’s Terms of Service, it is a very gray area and Roblox accepts very many Roblox OAuth applications regarding this.

Could we see this area get more clearer in the Terms of Service? There’s been multiple people regarding this that says this is against the Terms of Service, and Roblox proves us wrong and accepts these applications.

5 Likes

Now that there’s greater monetary incentive we’ll hopefully see plugins that are worth the money. You’ll still probably find that some plugins aren’t worth their asking price, but nobody is forcing anyone to buy them.

That’s exactly what this change is aiming to do.

Agreed, but it says in the original post that Roblox are already investigating ways for younger developers to sell on the creator store safely.

Yes, card payments are one of the most commonly used payment method for eCommerce. Buying into a second economy to buy assets and tools obfuscates value, and is inconvenient.

That is misquoted. I was explaining that keeping 100% of the Robux being earned would be less than the 90% earned from USD.

1 Like

Guess Roblox AND Dev’s are losing buyers … till they come to their senses.
Buying off-platform is just too troublesome or too risky… imo.

2 Likes

A lot of people assume this because of the lack of clarity from the Roblox part, though half of them got accepted for Roblox OAuth, which is reviewed by Roblox Moderators. This is why I asked for clarity regarding this. I’m a representative at Parcel and so far, the only people who got banned from Roblox are the bad actors whom we report to Roblox themselves. We do follow Roblox Terms of Service, and just got accepted by Roblox OAuth. It’s just the matter of people being misled from the TOS and Roblox’s Actions.

For those people that want stats, since this update has been pushed, we’ve seen an increase of users (about ~41%) of customers switching to us because of this announcement. That’s how much people are impacted by this.

3 Likes