Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

I really hope they listen to the Community Feedback I get there’s some benefits to this update, but the cons seem to be outweighing the positives.

It would be nice to have both of worlds.

(don’t wanna jinx it)

3 Likes

Not only do I not agree with the fact that you cannot use Robux to buy plugins anymore, I do not agree with taking all paid plugins offsale/making them private. There are a lot of good plugins that were paid, and most likely inaccessible due to this update. The Robux option should be added back, and old plugins should be put back onsale.

4 Likes

This thread alone convinces me that 90% of developers on the DevForum are no more than “Roblox bad!!!” and have no idea what implementing industry-standards actually does for Roblox.

Thank you Roblox, and I hope this is the next step for selling modules and packages with USD at some point. OSS is still great, but sometimes, getting paid for hard work is something you deserve.

7 Likes
  • I like this update
  • I don’t like this update
  • I don’t care🗿

0 voters

Let’s see

Edit: So far it looks like majority is saying it’s a bad update

6 Likes

Have you considered this might be because very few developers were interested in creating plugins when the ROI was so low? Maybe now it’s possible to make real money from plugins people will start to push the limits and innovate on the tooling currently available in Studio. This is a long-term strategic move.

6 Likes

I just want to express my opinion here take it with a grain of salt, but while you do deserve it, being limited as a Plugin Creator or just a person wanting to buy plugins it’s not what you really deserve.

2 Likes

Do you really think that paid plugins should be restricted to users who can play real USD instead of Robux? I don’t think that’s very fair, especially for a platform targeted towards children.

3 Likes

It’s good to see that these are focus areas for the future. I think they’ll address part of the concerns here.

However, what about earnings-as-payment? It would be good to see either the option to use Robux to pay for plugins at the DevEx rate, or some other mechanism that means you don’t have to cash out to a bank account to access paid products.

That would be more inclusive, and should absolutely be next steps in my mind. Other than that, I’m excited for the future.

25 Likes

A sub-option of Robux and/or maybe even like an alternative payment method combined would be nice.

But for right now, we are quite limited on what to do.

3 Likes

I don’t care until they release the sacred model selling feature that I’ve been waiting years for.

Though I probably won’t make any money from it lol

This is not a good update. Not to take away from the cut you’re offering - 90% is amazing, but this is a poor way to execute this idea.

Not only are developers under 18 going to have hard time publishing their plugins, but creators of any age can have a hard time purchasing these plugins. $10 - 30 for a plugin is a lot. That’s up to developers how to price their own products, but having a Robux option allows for greater accessibility in availability. How is it justified for a new developer to spend a sizeable amount of money on plugins that they could once purchase for free, or for Robux? I’m not opposed to the idea of having a USD purchase option, but can’t there be both?

9 Likes

Suggestion:

Throwback to when you could dual buy currencies (buy either for tix or robux on the same item), but Robux + USD this time around. :skull:

3 Likes

I agree that the seller side needs to be more accessible. Earnings as payment should also be a next-step item on their roadmap, whether via Robux payments or otherwise.

However, what you’re seeing now is more of a price correction than any kind of obscene ripoff. I’ve run the numbers many, many times on this. I even made a video or ten thousand about them. The economics just didn’t work out in the old marketplace.

What you’re seeing is supply and demand. Supply couldn’t price that low. Now, the price is increasing to cover costs properly. Now that DevEx conversion rates aren’t getting in the way and increasing prices sixfold, there’s at least a better match between incomes and prices, but the community was always going to have to reckon with the reality that the deal was too good to last.

If they did both of worlds a suggestion similar to @Elttob’s suggestion would be for example:

Let’s say a plugin costed $25.00 USD dollars the Robux option would be converted to USD to Robux which would come out as 2,000 Robux as an alternative.

Both options added on with the 10% cut.

3 Likes

My biggest questions, will this allow young developers to have access to a DevEx type pay out? If so, how would this system pay young developers (say 13-17).

Will this system include some type of way to request your payouts at a given time, or have Roblox hold my earnings? Say I sell 10 copies of a 1 dollar plugin, Roblox takes 30% I’ve made 7 dollars, but I don’t want to receive a payment till I’ve made 20 dollars, how will Roblox Corporation go about holding this money?

Because real life currency will now be available to much more people than DevEx, will their be an ability to convert my payouts into stock purchases of Roblox Corporation directly from my transaction tab? I think that feature would be super interactive and boost the value of Roblox.

Edit: WOW, I did not realize that making plug ins cost robux was entirely removed. This will create huge issues… You can ONLY buy plug ins with USD now? So this removed the purpose of gift cards for developers, this removes users who rely on their games or groups who don’t have the income to drop money on robux in the dust, what about under 18 creators who already have their plug ins on the market? how will they receive money. This is actually insane that they removed this. My thinking is this: USD should be a choice by the developer, it should be robux by default, and if the developer chooses USD only Roblox shouldn’t take a cut of this money because they will be getting less users.

3 Likes

If the plugin sellers sell their plugins for only real money, they also better get paid with real money.

I dislike the new “subscriptions” because they cost real money but the creators get paid in Robux.

This is dumb Roblox. Please keep currencies consistent.

7 Likes

You can tell how old people are based on their reaction to this news.

Everyone above the age of 18 welcomes the news of better rates while everyone else seems more concerned that it’s “not Robux”.

Creators are paid directly in USD.

3 Likes

Great update! I’ll be keeping an eye on the data and hopefully posting some stats in terms of how this affects sales at a purely USD rate (now vs. before with DevEx).

7 Likes

Thanks roblox, you were adding great updates until this came along, I’m really disappointed with this :confused:

2 Likes