Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

Glad I stocked up on plugins before the switch…
Thanks for letting us have free plugins anyway

8 Likes

They weren’t that high in Robux. All of the sales add up quickly if you get them up. The floor should be more like $.99 instead of $5, $5 is unreasonable for a lot of plugins which now have no other option.

9 Likes

I wish there was a way to convert robux into those credits, additionally the lack of a means to use the Roblox wallet to buy plugins is a bit upsetting, now I have 3 currencies to look out for, irl payments, Roblox wallet and Robux.

10 Likes

I think this is a bad desicion…

15 Likes

No way. So glad I got my other plugin out before right now that you have to verify via Stripe, which I don’t have.

3 Likes

Hi! Apologies for the confusing wording here, we are making a change now to provide more clarity.

You do not have to onboard to Stripe to distribute free assets on the Creator Store. You will need approval only to distribute priced assets.

If you are seeing issues uploading free assets, please file a bug report and we’ll investigate ASAP.

9 Likes

I honestly don’t see what’s so helpful about this… And didn’t you guys get rid of Tix because having two payment/currency options was too confusing? Why are we backpedaling on this?

8 Likes

Hi! The team is actively investigating this issue. We will get back to you with a resolution ASAP.

2 Likes

Let me share my opinions about this.

There are quite a few under 18 developers on Roblox, who would use their Robux to purchase these plugins. By making plugin purchases real money only, this will make it a very annoying as they have to ask their parents/guardians to purchase these plugins with real money. Plugins felt very accessible before, but now it just feels like its closed to certain types of developers only.

A solution to this could be using the DevEx rates + 30% Roblox tax to calculate a Robux price, and letting us purchase the plugins in robux with that price.

Lastly, purchasing plugins using robux just feels a lot more convenient, and I hope using this option to purchase plugins will be enabled again someday.

12 Likes

I really want a sub-option being Robux I know theres other ways being investigated for creators that want more purchasing availability, but I don’t have a bank account since I am under 18.

What if a creator was under 18 in this case and didn’t have a bank account and wanted to sell a plugin before this update? Easy. Robux.

After this update, he would either be forced to release the plugin for free or not giving him limited options on what to do if he wants to earn revenue whether it be real-world currency or not.

11 Likes

It seems like a good update. However, I think both creators and people buying gamepasses would prefer an option to buy them with robux.

This would also be useful for users under 18.

2 Likes

If you’re going to add this, why can’t you just allow Robux to also be used? I don’t see any harm in doing so, and maybe you could add an option where plugin developers could decide if they wanted to sell it for money, Robux, or both. It doesn’t really make sense to only allow USD purchases for plugins, as it makes them a lot less accessible to young developers on the platform.

9 Likes

Because they can be that valuable? We are talking one-time purchases for tools, not toys. The target market of paid plugins are the plugins that enable revenue or cost savings many times more than the up-front cost. No one will make these types of plugins if there is no profit to be made, and the new store gives us exactly that.

4 Likes

We got lighting preset plugins costing 30 dollars now and a damn baseplate replacer costing 6 bucks.

Out of every plugin here only Moon Animator, Datastore Editor, Visual Scripting and Interface/UI tools are even worth their USD price.

Pretty ridiculous to transition the plugin ecosystem to a USD based marketplace even though very few plugins are powerful/worth a premium. This isnt Unity or Unreal, Roblox doesnt provide enough dev sided tools to actually make anything super useful or amazing.

Really need to allow purchasing plugins with Robux along side USD.

43 Likes

This update is terrible I mean the plugins creators are gonna make less money because many users won’t be able to buy the plugins. The whole point of robux is to buy it so you can spend it not needing to pay real money for anything (if you make robux elsewhere). The only good thing from this update is that there’s analytics for models.

14 Likes

I was thinking about the first part, they might make less money because of switching to real world USD.

I thought this update would include both USD and Robux as options but I guess not?

6 Likes

Yea apparently not for some reason. This is a very odd update to roblox to have.

7 Likes

wsp, i do think its great for creators trying to earn money without being limited to devex

im personally not a fan of it, because i think it will just make plugins less accessible by regular players

what i mean by this is that, take for example me - i dont have a debit card or whatever you use to pay nowadays yet (shocking right!?? parents haven’t gotten me one yet for some reason), and i see this very cool plugin turns out it costs real money,
unfortunately, for me means that; i can’t pay for this because i only get revenue from selling gamepasses, clothes, etc, and that only grants me robux
plus i think it’d be hard to convince your parents that you really want this roblox plugin lol

im sure that there has atleast been ONE person going through what i mean and i just wanna get my word out on this

11 Likes

I get what you mean. Like I think 95% of users trying to get plugins won’t even end up getting it anymore.

4 Likes

Case in point for why incentivising high-quality plugins is worth it and DOES add value:

https://twitter.com/StudioElttob/status/1777797105853100473

This plugin isn’t required to make a high-quality game, but it would save hours of cumulative time for any artist who works on lighting. Pays for itself very quickly.

8 Likes