Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

This is a stupid update. All its doing is limiting the amount of users who can actually buy plugins. For a company that advertises a way for kids to learn coding, this is actively discouraging them.

4 Likes

I have no idea what this specific plugin is or how it works, I’m just making the general statement that if a plugin saves people hours of time it should be priced accordingly. Of course, if it really is a trivial plugin to create and you don’t want to pay for it, then it should be trivial to create a free or cheaper version yourself. It’s a free market!

5 Likes

Keep in mind that the average Robloxian developer is aging, and Roblox has been getting into some legal troubles for their old vision of profiting off of unpaid children. Roblox was also made before a lot of modern technology was available, and I think it is about time they upgraded. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

People have been asking for ways to profit more off plugins for a very long time. The only issue is they took it the wrong way and we have this now.

1 Like

Precisely! If you have a problem with a plugin being too expensive, you totally have the opportunity to make your own less expensive thing. Other people who agree that software is too expensive might even use yours instead and you open up another option for people who cannot afford it.

3 Likes

That is Literally untrue. I refer you to the heaps of plugin creators asking for years for better rates and payment options.

4 Likes

Yeah… that plugin has been a lifesaver in many situations. But beyond just automatic scaling (which I rarely use now), being able to switch easily from offset to scale has been a major QOL improvement and I wish some smart people at Roblox implemented it officially. For the most part though, some other smart person made a script that automatically scales a UIScale instance, so that you don’t have to worry about scale versus offset.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure some of my earliest videos years ago quoted “USD pricing” as explicitly what everyone was asking for and explicitly the best way forward. Nobody was mad about it back then - in fact, it had nearly universal appeal.

I think people are either misdirecting their anger about this change when really they’re mad about under 18 restrictions, or not being able to pay without connecting a bank account etc… in which case, that’s what they should be fighting for, rather than asking Roblox to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It’s either that or they just need to get used to the new way that things are, and admit that maybe we should see how this plays out for a bit before saying it’s failed (unless we’ve invented time travel).

11 Likes

roblox itself is nowhere near professional
what makes you thinks the plugins could be?

A very welcomed change that I’ve been waiting for a long time now! I can’t wait to start selling more than plugins in real-world currency.

2 Likes

bros waiting for 50k robux asset pack justification

3 Likes

Hard disagree, plenty of people have serious careers on platform myself included. I actually greatly desire plugins like the kind I find in other software and game engines. The ability to make plugins with a largely greater pay will significantly improve the quality of plugins especially for those who actively work on and maintain them.

no matter how professional the product or the person it’s only as industry standard as the platform can let it be

I said nothing about industry standards, I am simply stating that professional tools with people who can make a living maintaining them would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Dear Roblox,
Please stop adding features that were already hated by many YouTubers and developers. This update sucks. I will say that. Why are you becoming so eager to wipe all the <18-year-olds right off the platform. If you and going to reply and say something like (ahem cue nerd voice)

:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:Well actually, we need to use UDS to be more cool like fortnite jkasdfklasdfkljsdfa​:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

Just- if you want to use a tax-free method to buy plugins and who knows what else (not giving ideas). (ahem again)

USE FREAKING ROBUX

Just use it. it is your signature currency. Everyone knows and loves it. AND IF AFTER ALL THAT YOU ARE STILL CONCERNED ABOUT MONEY you have 25 BILLION dollars. You have money, you can decrease taxes and (hint hint) increase devex rates?

If you read all that and ur not roblox. Please like so roblox will see it. If you are roblox, then please consider this.

10 Likes

The thing is this could have been good. Unfortunately paired with limitations, some bad decisions, and the general median age of 90% of Roblox players and developers, Not everybody has the ability to hand out $5-30 dollars for any plugin. I have a long list of plugins I didn’t pay very much for. At this point, it’s more if people prefer lots of Robux sales with more fees or way less USD sales with less fees. 500 people paying 200 Robux for a plugin probably generated more than 5 people paying $4.99 for something to do the same thing. I haven’t been in the plugin development space for very long so I don’t have much to contribute on this front, but the 200 Robux plugin would probably end up making more money. It’s more up to time to tell how well the USD storefront does (i know you’ve sold your via itch for a while not) but I don’t see it doing well in the long run. Lots of people (taking into account roblox’s target users are kids mostly) are no longer able to buy plugins at all which makes developing way harder. Back when I was starting, spending even 25 Robux was a lot, let alone $5.

TDLR: This could have been implemented way better, instead the lazy route was taken and the community is more or less split in half with this.

Limitations are another thing… am I upset I cannot sell plugins anymore? Yes, but that isn’t the root of a lot of my issues personally with the system. Personally, even with the fees, I prefer Robux and I’ll probably always be that way. Roblox isn’t a professional platform and I wish they’d stop trying to pretend like one - we don’t need this bottlenecking everybody.

1 Like

Finally i can get paid a fair share for my work.

Robux should be ditched for creator assets like this, plugins aren’t an in game thing and should’ve never even been sold for Robux.

Plugins are more akin to software that runs atop Studio and to see Roblox finally adopt real world money for this is going to create some insane tools.

4 Likes

okay yes the higher percentage you get is good but setting a robux price should still be an option

1 Like

I think some of the people replying to this thread would genuinely implode if they realized how many people would be perfectly happy to spend hundreds of dollars on a sufficiently useful tool or plugin.

Case in point: Roblox Vis Tools by MrChickenRocket. It costs $500 USD and has around 140 buyers. Sure there’s less buyers overall, but he sure has made a nice chunk of change :wink:

edit: Sorry, didn’t mean to reply to you @metatablecatmaid

8 Likes

Volumika currently has hundreds of licencees. Let me check the number for you.

…yup, 320ish licencees. That’s $16k right there, and that’s all outside of Roblox without any of its usual discovery mechanisms or social fabric. By all DevForum predictions, it should have failed immediately.

People have the money and are willing to spend it, they’re just in a different segment than what others see, and they don’t have the same taste in product as the most “visible” segment on here has.

8 Likes