Cross-Account Avatar Accessory Transfer

Introduction

In the dynamic world of Roblox, managing multiple accounts has become a common practice. Whether it’s for acquiring exclusive items or participating in various events, users often find themselves navigating through different accounts. Reflecting on my own experiences, I realized the limitations imposed by the inability to transfer items between accounts. This realization sparked the idea of proposing a feature that would alleviate this constraint and enhance the user experience.

Curiosity led me to explore the Roblox Help Center, where I discovered the existing restriction on item transfers. Subsequently, I sought confirmation from Roblox Customer Support, only to receive an unfortunate response.

Upon careful consideration, it became evident that the current policy, emphasized by the phrase “at this time,” implies a lack of functionality rather than a permanent stance. Encouraged by this realization, I sought approval to submit a Feature Request, and here we are.

Problem

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to accept the absence of a mechanism to transfer avatar accessories between accounts. This limitation becomes particularly frustrating when attempting to move coveted, non-saleable accessories to a desired account. The current workaround, treating accessories as if they are limited items, is far from optimal.

Solution

Now, let’s delve into potential solutions that could revolutionize the account-to-account item transfer process.

Method A: Age ID Verification

Leveraging the recently introduced Age ID Verification, users could unlock the ability to transfer data between accounts. This process would involve both accounts undergoing Age ID Verification, coupled with email confirmation to ensure account ownership. This dual authentication would grant users the privilege to seamlessly transfer data.

Method B: Authenticator App Security

Prioritizing account safety, another approach involves implementing a robust security layer through the use of an Authenticator App. To initiate transfers, both accounts must have the “Very Secure” option, requiring users to enable the Authenticator App. This additional step ensures a high level of security, as any data changes necessitate authentication through a code generated by the chosen authenticator app.

Additional Note

These proposed methods serve as initial concepts, subject to modification based on feedback and collaborative refinement.

If Roblox can address this issue, it would significantly enhance my player experience by providing a seamless and secure solution for transferring avatar accessories between accounts.

8 Likes

This seems related to Ability to freely transfer avatar items and currency between your accounts

1 Like

Heya @0Tenth! How are you?

The topic you that you have mentioned was a inspiration to create this one with further context and concepts of how the problem could be solved!

Although I could give my own perspective within that topic, it was locked and you cannot do anything besides from liking it, which doesn’t help.

Likewise, hope you can understand now!

3 Likes

I, too, am for this idea! I have a lot of collectibles on my alternate account, and I rarely use that account now. A function similar to this concept would be a life-saver!

Unfortunately, this would become a great way for users to sell accounts and items; all a blackmarketer would need to do is transfer the now sold accessories over to the new account.

1 Like

During the May 2020 leak, it was revealed that this is already a thing. Just not for us.

While it’s true that allowing item transfers between accounts could potentially be exploited for account and item selling, the proposed concepts that I have given aim to address this concern. By incorporating robust security measures, such as the Age ID Verification and Authenticator App requirements, we can create a system that minimizes the risk of misuse.

It’s essential to acknowledge that eliminating such activities may be impossible, as mentioned by a wise Roblox employee in another context: ‘It is impossible to stop these people, but it is possible to minimize the problem.’ This statement underscores the idea that while the issue may persist to some extent, our goal is to implement solutions that significantly reduce the likelihood of abuse.

These proposed methods prioritize the security and integrity of the platform, and their effectiveness can be further refined based on community feedback and ongoing collaboration. The intent is not to create a perfect solution but to establish measures that strike a balance between user convenience and minimizing potential risks.

Malicious black-market abusers will have no problem adding 2FA to their account and if they believe they won’t get caught, they may not even mind ID verifying. On top of this, if you require ID verification; there is nearly never a valid use-case for this feature as you can’t have two accounts under the same ID therefore, you will be unable to transfer to accessories between your personal accounts.

Do you have anything in mind of how you could at least minimize the problem? Your opinion is always welcomed on this topic too!

If I’m reading this correctly, then you’re mistaken as you can verify you’re own ID on many accounts, it was revealed it was a guidelines mistake.

You wouldn’t just freely be able to get rid of you’re items in mere seconds, you would most likely have to be approved by a moderator to have you’re items transferred, though I don’t agree with allowing users to transfer items “freely” as this would cause an issue with the marketplace and just cause unnecessary overwork for engineers to implement having to remove items from cloned accounts when they go limited to prevent unwanted inflation or duplication.

A viable solution would be to track which proxy accounts belong to the host, and if these accounts are found blackmarketting, (which wouldn’t genuinely happen if you couldn’t pass over limiteds (which would only be fine if it was a “one-time-transfer” to give everything to another account so the original loses the items in the process)) they would be terminated along with the host account so they lose everything regardless of how many proxy accounts were made.

1 Like

I can vouch for this topic all too well…

As once a silly little kid I made multiple Roblox accounts that contain different items, some unique have never been sold again, and some of these provide sentimental value and have money spent on them. As OP states, the ability to transfer cross-account items is currently an unsupported feature, I too have contacted Roblox Support and gotten the same message.

It would make sense for this to be a maybe low-priority request, but someday in the future, it would be awesome to see this supported, or maybe even a system that can be done through another form of Support using IDs, voice, or face in some form.

I’d be extremely open for discussion if any Roblox Staff would want to chime in as I think this issue can be related to numerous users. I do understand this type of feature would only support so many users, but in my case, at the time I was a kid who didn’t know any better, and I’m sure can be related to as well.

2 Likes