CSG Failures

My unions have disappeared.

Broken Union.rbxm (9.7 KB)

1 Like

I was testing out the ShadowMap in studio and I made a simple union object and the light moving through it was quite strange. The part has 0.02 transparency and I set the transparency before I made the union.

union.rbxm (10.7 KB)

Invisible blocks appear when making a union. For some reason, an invisible gap appears somewhere around the subject I am bonding. Another time, it creates an invisible area where I cannot walk through the area that I cut a hole into.

Basically, invisible barriers and hills are spawning with no way to prevent them when using CSG. This is making my game a bit unplayable when it comes to wandering around the map due to these bugs.

I am getting the following error message:

Something went wrong. CSG returned error code -25. Please file a bug report, preferably with a file containing the problematic object(s)

With the following parts:
buggy.rbxm (184.9 KB)

And the following script:

local u = game.Workspace.Union

local p = Instance.new("Part")
p.Size = Vector3.new(1,1,1)
p.Anchored = true
p.CanCollide = false
local pos = u.Position

function randomSphericalPoint(c,r)
	local t = math.pi * math.random()*2
	local p = math.acos(2*math.random() - 1)

return Vector3.new(
			math.sin(t)*math.cos(p),
			math.sin(t)*math.sin(p),
			math.cos(t)
		)*r + c
end

function raycastToPart(p,pt)
	local r = Ray.new(pt,(p.Position - pt)*5)
	return workspace:FindPartOnRayWithWhitelist(r,{p})
end
for i = 1,1,1 do
	pt = nil
	while(not pt) do
		_,pt = raycastToPart(u,randomSphericalPoint(u.Position,20))
	end

local c = p:Clone()
	c.Size = Vector3.new(1,1,1)*math.random()
	c.CFrame = CFrame.new(pt)
				--*CFrame.Angles(math.pi*math.random(),0,0)
				--*CFrame.Angles(0,math.pi*math.random(),0)
				--*CFrame.Angles(0,0,math.pi*math.random())
	c.Parent = game.Workspace
	u:SubtractAsync({c})
	c:Destroy()
end

Basically all Iā€™m trying to do is add randomly generated ā€˜dimplesā€™ to the union object.

1 Like

I am having this same issue, error code 25. The broken union can cast shadows [and is], but if I try to separate the union it deletes itself, and it is invisible. This is seriously annoying.

1 Like

I have received this error about 7 times in the past 10-15 minutes while trying to union parts together. As a previous poster mentioned, it does also seem that this is only affecting parts with the wood material (but I cannot say that for certain). I have tagged the offending parts and saved it as a roblox model. The original staff memberā€™s post asks us to upload our files here and says we can do so confidentially, but I donā€™t know how. How can I upload them confidentially while replying to this thread?

Edit: After spending 2 hours unioning a 1,200 part piece Iā€™ve just run the game and about 10% of the unions donā€™t show up. This is a big deal since I now have a boat with a bunch of holes in it. In my opinion this makes unions essentially unusable.

1 Like

Sidenote, if you save your game a lot you can recover the CSG by going into the version history of the game, this saved me.

I have already made back ups of the models but I think Iā€™m just going to avoid using unions since they seem very unreliable.

CSG is super super buggy what changed recently?

bug.rbxm (20.0 KB)

Unioning them one at a time works

Is there a way to use unions without 30-50% of them turning invisible?

Iā€™m still a newb but to me it seems like any model with more than a few unions creates fatal issues for roblox.

You can try enabling ā€œDisableCSGv2ā€ in Studio settings.
CSGv1 was far more stable and didnā€™t corrupt unions as often.

2 Likes

Thank you. I tried that but it did not seem to help. Iā€™m assuming I just change the setting and restart studio, is that correct or am I missing a step?

Itā€™s just an older CSG system.
It will not affect unions done in CSGv2, nor will you be able to edit them while having CSGv1 enabled (from what I know).
So itā€™s not a setting that you switch and everything gets fixed. You have to use it, make unions with CSGv1 system, and you should see the difference.

1 Like

Uh, I tried ā€œunioningā€ two unions together to make a grid and this happened:

However, when I separate the union, the unions are the unions from before (I mean theyā€™re completely fine).

You need to add a repro file for this so that they can investigate. A picture alone doesnā€™t help because they donā€™t have your setup parts.

Studio crashed after that so I canā€™t get a repro file, it was a brand new file tooā€¦

Right, hereā€™s mine. Things just turned invisible after union, and then they disappear after being separated. Iā€™m no expert, so Iā€™m not sure of the specific cause. And I canā€™t remember how it looks like soā€¦ Iā€™d really like to solve this.

CSGErrorROBLOX.rbxm (26.3 KB)

Thatā€™s a known issue that isnā€™t really being solved. Another reason I donā€™t like to always use unions. Basically your union was corrupt. You can see the outline, but if you try to alter the shape of it/union it, then it deletes itself. This has happened to me on MULTIPLE occasions, one time literally destroying my whole game which I spend about 4 months on and was almost complete.

1 Like

I guess this falls under CSGs that create invisible/extra parts.

Basically, I was in team create with my development team working on a game. We found that during the team create, if you negate something, no one else can see the item you negated. Others can undo the union ans then see everything, and you can move it, etc. but you cant see it when testing it or viewing it in studio.

Player 1ā€™s view:

Everyone elseā€™s view:
https://gyazo.com/0a551801ae730266df44d45912029747

Steps to replicate:
Create a Group Team Creat with 6+ people(this might work with under 6 players but Iā€™m just going off of how it happened to me) > Get some parts, and have some negated parts > Union them

Itā€™s getting really annoying not being able to negate items. I hope this gets fixed soon.