Ctrl Shift F Crashes Studio sometimes

I can’t use the find all function without it crashing studio.

Repro would be to just open a place and try out Ctrl Shift F.

However, I’ve tried it in a fresh place and Find All worked without crashing. So here are some specifics that may be causing the problem:

I open the place from the Edit button on the website.
My game has over 10k lines of code
No matter how small the amount of things returned from the search it will always crash. Ie) Searching ‘a’ vs something more specific like ‘SpectateFrame’ -Crashes in both cases
It displays all of the places so the search works, but it crashes immediately after. Before you can move the mouse to click on one of the things the search returned.
To my knowledge this crashing behavior started on June 19th
Hitting Ctrl Shift F and then hitting close does not crash it. The crashing happens within the action of searching for all things.

4 Likes

I had this problem too a couple days ago but it has since been fixed.

[quote] I can’t use the find all function without it crashing studio.

Repro would be to just open a place and try out Ctrl Shift F.

However, I’ve tried it in a fresh place and Find All worked without crashing. So here are some specifics that may be causing the problem:

I open the place from the Edit button on the website.
My game has over 10k lines of code
No matter how small the amount of things returned from the search it will always crash. Ie) Searching ‘a’ vs something more specific like ‘SpectateFrame’ -Crashes in both cases
It displays all of the places so the search works, but it crashes immediately after. Before you can move the mouse to click on one of the things the search returned.
To my knowledge this crashing behavior started on June 19th
Hitting Ctrl Shift F and then hitting close does not crash it. The crashing happens within the action of searching for all things. [/quote]

Do you have a script in particular that causes this issue? Or a place we can use as a repro?

1 Like

I do not know if it’s a certain script, but I can provide the place in question

I do not know if it’s a certain script

Then if you have a place file that crashes but aren’t sure which script, you should be able to either attach it as Confidential Information, send it via a private message, or send it to UristMcSparks@roblox.com.

I was able to narrow down where the problem originates.

It was due to a pirate hook local gui script error.

Repro:
Insert a pirate hook into a blank game.
game.InsertService:LoadAsset(14131602).Parent = game.Workspace
This is the default pirate hook, no edits made.

I talked to some others who had this problem, so there might be other gear that is throwing this same fetching script error. Which causes Ctrl Shift F to crash studio.

I can confirm this is still an issue. Happening several times a day causing me to lose a few minutes of work each time.

Studio doesn’t actually crash, just spins and goes unresponsive indefinitely until I force close it.

I disabled all Plugins to rule those out as a culprit. As TheAmazeman mentioned, my game uses InsertService to load stuff in during run time.

I find it has a much higher chance of happening if you use Ctrl+Shift+F when the game is running.

1 Like

Bumping because this is somehow still an issue 8 years later. :skull:

3 Likes

Co-signed.
This doesn’t happen every time, but it does happen eventually after using Find In All Scripts a lot.

For me, it doesn’t freeze Studio immediately.
Instead, the search results turn up ominously blank. The rest of Studio remains responsive.
It freezes when I close or save the place afterward. There is no significant CPU usage while Studio is frozen.

2 Likes

lost so many hours of work because this in the past week, whats so deadly about this bug is sometimes ctrl shift f will work for a while, so you’ll become comfortable and stop saving the game before you use it. then boom, you open it up and it freezes studio

more details:
-the moment i use the hotkey to open it up, the window will pop up empty (usually it displays what i searched up before, or what i have highlight in my script). whenever the window pops up with no previous search in the searchbar 10/10 times studio will freeze up and stop responding.
-ill close the window and try to save my game to roblox/to file out of desperation, but nothing will show up in the output and a few seconds later studio stops responding
-my game also has over 10,000 lines of code, and over 200 scripts

2 Likes

Having the same problem for months. It happens so much i don’t even try to use ‘find all’ unless I’ve saved and I’m prepared to force close studio(crash) and restart it to get the ‘find all’ to work.

1 Like

To this day, this still happens. Everything with Find & Replace All is fine, but once you try to click on a script, studio just closes. No error message, no “studio isn’t responding”, just pop! Gone.

This is the exact same issue that has been happening to me for months although much more infrequent than some here are suggesting. Upon using Find All, there is a chance that it will return nothing. When this happens, it is too late. Switching between scripts appears to work fine, but switching to the 3D game view will cause the center window to freeze whatever was last displayed on screen. Upon attempting to publish or save the game, studio will enter an endless “Not Responding” state as the app turns white as if waiting for an intensive task to finish.

̶T̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶a̶̶̶ ̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶o̶̶̶l̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶b̶̶̶u̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶v̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶p̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶,̶ ̶i̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶d̶̶̶o̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶n̶̶̶’̶t̶̶̶ ̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶a̶̶̶f̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶I̶̶̶’̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶ ̶o̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶a̶̶̶ ̶n̶̶̶e̶̶̶w̶̶̶ ̶b̶̶̶u̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶p̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶t̶̶̶.̶

New report:

1 Like