Current Sidebar (drawer) functionality feels clunky | UI & UX Suggestion

As a Roblox developer, I currently face an unsatisfactory user experience when using the drawer (also known as a sidebar) in the Talent Hub.

I noticed that Talent Hub uses material-ui. From what I can tell, the Talent Hub seems to use some variation of what Material UI describes as a “Persistent Drawer”. The properties of this drawer are that:

1. It has more strict requirements for closing, the user must explicitly click the toggle.
  2. This drawer forces other content to adapt and change the size.

I think that the Talent Hub would benefit if instead of this type of drawer, something more like the “Temporary Drawer” is used. Currently, it doesn’t make sense to me why you would push the content when there is clearly a large horizontal margin on both sides.

Additionally, I don’t think that pushing the content to the side, in this case, results in a pleasant user experience. Pushing the content to the side makes more sense for navigation, but when the contents of the drawer are very relevant to the current page content while considering that the current page content is a simple list layout, the “pushing content to the side” property of this drawer seems to just result in too much movement and what feels like a bulky user experience. Also, it is worth mentioning that when the page content adapts to the drawer, it is not just pushed to the side, but is also pushed down.

(this is a small UI suggestion)

Hey!

Thanks for the suggestion! Could I request some screenshots of what you’re seeing as well? Would be good to know what viewing form factor you’re on etc.

Thanks

1 Like

I am viewing the website on a 1920x1080 display.

Here are two screenshots of the open and close states of the sidebar.

Screenshots

Hey,

Thanks for the screenshots. One of things we want to improve is how the site adapts to different form factors - this is evident in that we don’t currently really support mobile! For larger displays, we will most likely have some of these things automatically unfurled on the page.

Bare with us, we continue to iterate and improve on the design just as we do the rest of the Talent Hub!

2 Likes