Custom fractal viewer / fractal image generator in Roblox

I’ve always had a deep fascination for fractals, so I decided I should make my own fractal viewer in Roblox!

My fractal generation system is capable of generating images of up to 1200x900. You have a ton of parameters to mess with and a dynamic fractal system, meaning you can choose from 3 different fractals (at the moment) and more in the future. You also have the option to generate Julia sets for each fractal. I’ve worked pretty hard to make it as efficient as possible, though there many are limits in Roblox, of course!

Here’s some images I’ve created entirely on Roblox:

Now, it should be said that this game uses an incredible amount of RAM (thank you x64). Depending on how high you have the viewport resolution set, I’ve had it rise to 10+ gigabytes, however it is possible to keep under 5. This is mainly due to a caching system that I haven’t quite perfected yet…

With that said, you can try it out for yourself here: Fractal Explorer
Scroll, mouse, and left click to zoom/pan; right click to generate a Julia set at that point on the complex plane using the current iteration function

If you have any questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reply!

5 Likes

Nice! The system is amazing but is there any limitation to the Custom fractal?

It’s just what I found after messing with the Mandelbrot Set’s equation, it should be just like the other 2 fractals, if that’s what you mean. I don’t think it loses detail earlier or anything.