Custom Intellisense Documentation Comments

As a Roblox developer, I find myself having to constantly open up modules in order to remind myself of what exactly certain functions do, even if the methods in question have decently descriptive names. This isn’t really an issue for smaller modules, but it begins to present itself once you’ve created a substantially large one or if you just haven’t used it in a long while.

Addressing this issue would negate the need of having to constantly open up modules and scroll through them to find documentation comments.

In order to solve this time-consuming issue, my request is for a feature that would allow for documentation comments within our code, which intellisense should pick up on whenever accessing a module.

Example of built-in documentation:

I would love to be able to add some sort of description comment above my methods that intellisense would then display, just like how methods such as ‘FindFirstChild’ do already.

Edit: This post has been edited slightly in order to account for the fact that the introduction of Luau has partially solved some of my problems here. Namely, the previous version of this post had a section about intellisense picking up on expected argument types. I’ve removed that part of the request.

71 Likes

This is a very late bump however I still see relevance in this thread.

Not only is this good for what OP points out (personal reference when coding), but it is also an excellent implementation for public / open source modules required via ID or inserted into games from external sources.

It’s a standard in many other languages, especially languages oriented to more formal or professional design (e.g. C#), to include summaries or docs of every function and property of your objects. I’ve always had a habit of putting docs down in my C# code and it feels quite awkward not being able to do that in Roblox.

I have released a couple open source modules already and I always have to include API docs somewhere on my github or in the thread I write for said modules. It would be a huge improvement to be able to pack that in stock with the code itself, especially given that it can be a hassle to some users to remember my github page or the thread page.

10 Likes

I hate to bump this thread so late but I really, really need this feature. It is frustrating to use a modular codebase because I can’t remember what each function does without having to open its module. Depending on where the module is stored, it can take me a lot of time to simply find it— and that’s with the Explorer search feature.

Please add custom intellisense. It would greatly speed up my development time and make my life significantly easier.

10 Likes

Bump, this should be added, a #1 needed feature for making modular code or functions. I struggle to find an alternative or way to have custom documentation comments for functions and module functions.

Python does a great job of docstrings like so.

def lcm(a, b):
    """Compute the lowest common multiple of a and b"""
    return a * b / gcd(a, b)

lcm(2, 16) #hovering over will show -> Compute the lowest common multiple of a and b

This will make my workflow uncomplicated, and more understandable with document comments to know what does what.

5 Likes

I was thinking something similar to TSDoc, since Luau is trying so hard to be that, might aswell add it’s comment format as well

--[[
	* Takes two numbers and returns their sum
	* @remarks
	* This is literally just for addition, this function doesn't actually have any remarks
	* @param a first input to sum
	* @param b second input to sum
	* @returns the sum of a and b
]]

function add(a: number, b: number): number
	return a + b
end
8 Likes