Custom terrain textures

The reason I don’t want to use terrain is because the textures of it are very… poor?
It looks realistic but that doesn’t fit in a game built out of bricks.
What I’m suggesting is for users to be able to set their own custom texture to each “biom”.
So for example, if I don’t like the grass, I can assign my own grass texture from a decal, and then set the width and height of it myself.

Is this a good idea or no?

19 Likes

Yes this is a great idea. I’ve been suggesting Texture packs since terrain first came out.

8 Likes

Massive bump, but with the new terrain tools up and coming I feel like this is a great time to bring some light to this. The fact that this isn’t a popular subject is quite odd IMO. The terrain textures just look really bad. (Sorry) And no amount of custom colors can fix what’s fundamentally lacking.

I continuously tweak the colors looking for a correct balance that fits the nature of my game. I never even put any thought towards the fact that the textures are just so bad that I solely blamed the colors. This would be a nice feature to have in the upcoming tool chain.

Can only hope that now, since this request originated in 2015… that hear in 2019 we can shed some light on the subject and start unleashing that empowered imagination.

10 Likes

I absolutely love that this is being brought up. When smooth terrain was added, I was forced to make everything more realistic to fit the new terrain style. It’s the biggest reason I miss the old terrain; it looked cartoony and stylish. Allowing developers to set terrain textures could give us the option to bring back the cartoony nature of Roblox.

10 Likes

I would like to see this brand new feature, currently, the terrains that you have are bad, or sometimes, you want a new texture, sometimes you need to change the color of a terrain to create a new one, which i feel that is not a good way to do. With this feature we can do a new kind of grass, since the current one is kinda strange, because it looks a bit empty. Or maybe a Mars terrain texture, etc!

I remember when i saw a video with the old terrain system, i just saw a low quality grass terrain, which i would like to implement in some future games that i would like to make, but that’s only possible if this feature would be implemented! I hope the Roblox Staff read this! Since this feature is awesome! I dreamed this since i started my development in Roblox.

Thanks for reading!

3 Likes