Custom Wave Using Skinned Meshes

Notes:

• Public development discontinued until further notice.

I would like to share my work on creating custom waves, so you do not have to take 2 days to figure these out. Also, I will explain how I made it. (magic)

Video of my creation:

Link to model on creator marketplace:

How I made it:
I found information on how to do this just by looking up key words. I eventually came to this devForum page:

That only told me how to make the mesh with bones, so I had to code it myself.
This youtube video here:

Explained everything I needed to know after a couple rewatches.
I just played around with different combinations of math functions and code until I got what I currently have. Anyways, enjoy having custom waves without the hassle!

Change log:
1/22/23

1. Redid wave system
  2. Some old systems may be deprecated

Notes:
Look in sound service in the explorer and turn on volumetric audio, will make ocean water sound work properly.

8/31/23

1. Added displacement in the x and z direction.
  2. Added 2 more textures.
  3. Changed the way textures are animated for a more realistic look.

9/22/23

1. Changed some logic - maybe it’s using the gerstner wave function now?
  2. Added a tag (“wave_drift”) that can be used to makes objects float in the water.
  3. Added code to make objects float in the water.

5/3/24

1. Made the system work better with the server side
    Note: Buoyancy soon?
26 Likes

thanks for making this! was looking for solutions to gerstner waves on ROBLOX for a long time, and I’ll have a mess around with your model now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great contribution!

Also…

Find the Y value in a X,Z position?

Could you explain further on what you mean by that?

1 Like

Oh, sorry.

Say I have any given object. Using its X and Z position values, how can I determine the Y value that corresponds to its position in the water?

I just added up the x and z results in the script, note the current model does not use the gerstner wave function (woops) but I am working on it.

how optimized is this? just wondering

Optimized enough to run easily on my phone.

1 Like

Just updated the system! Hope you all enjoy it!

is it still possible to make parts float like in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb0qJEfCtjs

1 Like

I hope this inspires roblox to make better water.

Well, yes, but I may have forgot to add that to the new version. I’ll add it soonTM

2 Likes

How would i rotate the water so it flows the other way

When will buoyancy be added? since I saw a video of it from 8 months ago, Thanks!