Customizing background and layout of information on the Game Page

Hey DevForum members!

The Problem

I want to talk about the ROBLOX game page and how it is currently an underdeveloped feature of the site for ROBLOX developers. Currently, the game page is simple, you have the game thumbnail, name, ratings, and a description. While ROBLOX has improved so much over the past few years, the ROBLOX game page has been one part of the ROBLOX platform that has not changed over the years to accommodate the new needs of developers. Only small changes like removing the comment section were made.

As a ROBLOX Developer, it is currently extremely difficult to properly showcase and advertise my game on my own game page. After the months and months of work put on a game, it is sad to even think that so many users may click on your game and then leave just because the initial showcase isn’t enough. Right now the only customization feature of any sort is the thumbnail, video trailer, and description.

The Solution

I think that ROBLOX should put more focus on updating this part of this website and add more customization features for ROBLOX game developers. I think developers should really have the option to customize their game page and really make it their own, showcasing their game how they want it showcased, not just the basic bland way ROBLOX showcases it now.

I saw this DevForum post which addressed part of the solution in my opinion.

To sum it up, the feature to customize the background of the entire game page and pick an accent color or something for the ROBLOX search bar and navigation to fit the background. Developers on ROBLOX of so many skillsets have more than proven they are capable of creating amazing things, including graphic artists. In my opinion, the talent of graphic artists on ROBLOX is unfathomable. It is absolutely extraordinary how talented these people are, and I believe they have more than proved they can make graphics and assets for games that really advertise it and showcase it to the peak of its limits. I believe that it is an injustice to not have a feature like this (adding custom backgrounds to the game page). I am sure the second a feature like this is implemented graphic artists will instantly take advantage of this new opportunity and make games look even better at first glance. (Now I am aware of stretching problems and stuff, it doesn’t have to be the whole page. Maybe just the top half players see right away kind of like the images you see on a landing page on a website)

Second, I think we should have more options to add information to our game page. Right now the only way of adding any text information is the description box and the title and this is not enough. Developers need separated, organized spaces on their game page to organize information like updates, rules, general description of the game, etc. Developers shouldn’t be struggling to fit everything that they need to write to represent their game in one description box. A description box should be a description box, a short, descriptive and informative summary of the game… not the only space we can cram everything in. The ROBLOX game page already has the boxes going for different pieces of information, why not create a tile-like layout where users can have a game page customization editor and create tiles and scale them, position them, and lay them out with the margins of the website as they wish with the tools to display images, text, and other forms of communication on the tiles as they wish. Along with having the ability to put social media links, etc. I am kind of imaging like a Wix editor kind of thing but for a game page on ROBLOX, giving developers the ability to customize their game page way more then they can now but allowing ROBLOX to still have some control on what is displayed and what is not (so people don’t make things that break the moderation rules and stuff)

This customizability will also allow us to put information like, what players have said about our game, how intensive our game is on computer hardware, rules of the game, etc. (basically important information developers may want to include.) Also, this will give developers a space to talk about the game studio that created the game in more detail. Who they are, what they want to achieve, etc. It will allow developers to show the logo of the game studio. I also think it’d be great if you included the feature to put links and images that are clickable as links that lead to other ROBLOX pages so the game studio or game developer can put a section like “Other games we have made.”

I am also taking inspiration from other game stores like Epic Games Store and Origin Game Store:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order/home

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/need-for-speed/need-for-speed#store-page-section-overview

I’d like to point out how they have bigger sizes to display the thumbnail. Epic Games Store has a big thumbnail with a slide show feature and origin store has a thumbnail that takes up the top part of the page. This is kinda what I meant by the background image feature, but a bit bigger like a landing page website. I like how in these stores these well-made thumbnails that really show off the game are big and in your face, keeping user’s focus on the game page longer compared to how we have it now.

As a finishing statement, first impressions are everything… and right now ROBLOX lacks in this feature set. What is the point of spending so much work and effort creating an incredible game if you don’t have the means of portraying it like you envisioned? Game pages play a huge part in the process, and in 2019 ROBLOX, we need the ability to make our game page our own.

EDIT:

Double Click Image To View Full Screen

I have an example image of what I described in my original post if anyone is interested. The information within the tiles is irrelevant, it was only added to get the point across (the point being developers should be able to add the information they believe is necessary to add on their game page). Also, ignore the top part of the picture where I moved the like buttons and stuff to the right of the game title, I am not suggesting that change is made, that was just added because of my imagination. (in other words I used an old template instead of making a new one) :slight_smile:

The only part of the picture relevant to my original post is the big background image behind the boxes and the boxes in a tile pattern under the about section with information in it.

The ads displayed in the image where just random ads found on the Roblox website. I do not own these ads nor take credit for them, they were just used to display what the game page design would look like from real ads found on the site.

19 Likes