D3D11 and Studio

I’ve tested another laptop with my project and it didn’t freeze. The freeze started with the refresh update. This appears to be device specific but how would I resolve this for my current device? As you see when D3D11 is set as render, Roblox attempts to use D3D10 then switch to OGL. When the project is loaded with 3D view, there is no rendering information displayed when I toggle MSI Afterburner. I thought this was universal but it is specific to my device. I need some troubleshooting steps.

PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 4600H 3GHz with Radeon Graphics
8GB RAM
Win 10 Home 64-Bit 21H1
switchable graphics:
Nvidia Gtx 1650 4GB
AMD Radeon Graphics integrated

3 Likes

i don’t think Graphics API have anything to do with this at all, and it isn’t always the case since this is related to Coding issue in roblox studio itself.

although I’m also using D3D11 (you’re referring to DirectX 11) and it doesn’t seem to cause any issue except the window task duplicate

I didn’t mean to refer to DirectX, typo lol.

i don’t think Graphics API have anything to do with this at all, and it isn’t always the case since this is related to Coding issue in roblox studio itself.

And It’s the only thing I can come up with because I use MSI Afterburner to gauge how programs and games affect my GPUs, temperatures, fps, memory usage, etc etc.

• It’s not just the coding. Studio will freeze when I try to exit sometimes.

• I can play test and stand still and it will freeze after x amount of time.

all of these symptoms arose after the update. And if Roblox changed anything else they would have let us know, right? or Wrong?

“When OPEN GL is set to render”

“When Direct3D11 is set to render”

Pressing the ’ ] ’ key to toggle the information in the top left screen when using D3D11 rendering doesn’t show any information anymore. Before the DPI update, I kept this on D3D11 and during play testing to monitor if something was causing lag, to see how much more memory is being used, etc etc.

Now It will only show when I have it on OpenGL or VULKAN. But VULKAN does not agree with my situation, it fails to fully load the project and when it does it causes studio to crash. OpenGL is really no different but it’s more stable than VULKAN. It does not crash right away but it freezes.

I’ve tried to create empty projects to play around with and studio will eventually freeze or show the box telling me it encountered an error and need to close. But it pretty much is broken with this update if MSI isn’t picking it up like it was before the update.

Sounds really strange if all graphics APIs fail.

Maybe some Roblox files got corrupt on update, try re-installing studio? Maybe it has to do with your drivers, try updating or reverting to an older version?

1 Like

What’s your operating system, what storage is installed, and which one is the OS on? How are your internet speeds on average? What’s your GPU, and current system ram?

I appreciate your reply and I don’t mean to be rude but I included my specs in the original post. Hard drive space, internet speed all that is not the issue. Everything was working fine for months before the update. I can play other games on steam and MSI can read D3D11 without any issues. I can play the game on Roblox and it uses D3D11 without issues. It’s just in studio it won’t.

I appreciate your reply and I have tried reinstalling. And it’s the same driver I have been using for months. I don’t think I suddenly need to roll back when it’s only Roblox studio that is affected and not the actual game or any other 3d application. I only need to update game ready drivers for nvidia which I’m not playing any newer games at the moment. And If the game or application use d3d11 it shows in the game or application- but it will not in Roblox studio.

Go to power settings, and then the app list, and make sure the program is being ran on the correct GPU. For instance, some programs will fail, if your main monitor is one gpu, and the program runs on a different gpu. I’m assuming that in your case the render setting can’t be set to automatic and you have to manually set it to DX11

1 Like

Go to power settings, and then the app list, and make sure the program is being ran on the correct GPU. For instance, some programs will fail, if your main monitor is one gpu, and the program runs on a different gpu. I’m assuming that in your case the render setting can’t be set to automatic and you have to manually set it to DX11

Unfortunately, I’ve tried all the general troubleshooting to no avail. Studio always run on the primary GPU. I’m only using 1 monitor so the problem isn’t there. And I’ve noticed if the render is set to automatic it will use D3D11 because I can’t bring up the GPU information in the top left corner. I’ve always ran it on D3D11 anyway. Everything was fine until Studio update. No changes on my PC. All i do is open my project and code until I can’t keep my eyes open. Now I just look on youtube lol.

Nvidia GPU activity monitor shows me when that GPU is being used and everytime I open studio it uses it. I can do anything else without a hitch. the problem lies with Studio update

I opened my project, waited a few minutes and hit the exit button and this happened. It just froze. This behavior only occurred AFTER the DPI update. I’ve disabled all Beta features and Studio still acts unstable.

Odd. Do you have any plugin, and if so, all of their names?

I disabled them all and it still hangs up. But i just noticed something and it’s on Video. Whenever I open studio, with D3D11 set as render. It goes from D3D10 to OGL. It didn’t do that prior the Refresh Update

This needs to be a bug report. D3D11 is broken and what’s underlying with it could also be causes some of us issues after the refresh update. I have set render to D3D11 and it goes from D3D10 to OGL. I can monitor this using MSI Afterburner. #bug-reports

As a last resort I’d be in the situation right now where I either do or don’t backup my work depending on a couple things then get stuck either reinstalling windows to no avail and either getting lucky, hitting an update goose, or something even more bizarre. Bug repoooooort

1 Like

You can contact @Roblox-Support about this as an last resort.

1 Like

Thanks for replying, I’ve tried this numerous times which I was why I need someone who can post in bug reporting to try and reproduce this bug and make a report for me. I filed my last report last night stating D3D11 is broken and I had video to prove it and this is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Roblox Customer Support.

This is a common issue for many developers, and many have resolved this problem by using the methods listed in the following Help article:

General Roblox Studio Issues

If your problem persists after trying all of the steps located in the above link, please let us know.

I don’t know no other way of trying to communicate the issue without getting a generic response.

If this is solely what you used to uninstall studio:
It is not a deep uninstall because Windows doesn’t know which entries belong exclusively to the application…

You’ll have to delete all associated files and folders from programfiles, appdata and windows registry keys.

I highly still suspect it has to do with something that’s outdated.

I would still recommend completely re-installing Nvidia drivers following this guide (because according to some Windows support articles it seems to have fixed DirectX11 related issues, yes DirectX11 suddenly breaking after months of use):

1 Like

Are those users saying D3D11 broke altogether or just for one application? Because in my situation it isn’t broken for everything just Roblox Studio. I can load up Elden Ring right now and it will use D3D11 no problem. I can play my game on Roblox and it will use D3D11 but just not in Roblox Studio. I will try a deeper uninstall but it seems so bogus to do when all this happened after the Refresh Update. and That was like a week ago. I shouldn’t have to dismantle or reconfigure my system if it is roblox studio issue which is what I strongly feel but I will attempt to do these things and report back.

Can you also try 1 more thing, deep re-install MSI afterburner, or actually before that try Roblox Studio without having it installed at all.

What does your dxdiag show for the feature levels by the way?

Do you have these shaders? Additionally, I could give these to you in a PM or DM and see if it solves the issue for you, doubt it would be compatible, but we could give it a try.

Also, in your Studio do you have an “Upgrade” button in the top right? If so, upgrade it if it hasn’t for some reason.

1 Like

Meant to reply directly to you instead of just posting.
driver

1 Like

Last resort that I can think of is to try to revert to an older version of Roblox Studio. I can’t name any sites, but there are some that provide versioning history that are trustworthy. If it still doesn’t work after that then we know it has to do with the latest update.