Data carry over to new place

If I have a DataStore in place [A] (in game [G]), and I publish place [B] (also in game [G]) over place [A], will the DataStores from place [A] carry over to place [B]?

3 Likes

Nope - unless they are in the same universe (Game).

1 Like

both places are in the same game universe. so you’re saying it will carry the data over to place [B] from place [A]?

3 Likes

Yes

17 Likes

Yes, same universe

1 Like

Yes [3]

3 Likes

But how hard would it be to transfer to another universe :thinking:

To transfer all data from a DataStore in one universe to another?
From what I understand, without knowing each and every key and manually transferring each of them, it’s just short of impossible.

You couldn’t do it with the DatastoreService. The only circumvention I see would to keep their data on your own 3rd party server from day 1 and make use of the HttpService.

1 Like

coughs

what if you used CreatePlaceAsync, saved the (compressed) data in the description of the newly created place, and then used the assetid of the new place to aquire the information from a different game

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/AssetService

It seems pretty possible, only save file size would be limited by how much information you could fit in the description of a place, which honestly in most cases could be more than enough if stored efficiently. You can even set an id using CreatePlaceAsync which should reliably allow you to know what the placeID would be from the new game based on the player

just an idea

1 Like

This is why I store all of my data on my website. Perks of making them since I was 9. I send all the data to them and make things I need if I don’t have it.