Data Stores Issue Feedback

Hi developers,

We have been receiving many reports about intermittent data loss from data stores. Investigating this is our top priority.

If you have experienced this issue, you can help us by providing the following information:

Which of your games were affected?
Links go here

When did you receive reports of player data loss?
Provide specific dates and the number of reports if possible

For the affected keys, which methods do you use (GetAsync, SetAsync, UpdateAsync, etc)?

Do you have any server error logs or any other information which may help?
If you do not want to share this information publicly, you can send it to me in a private message.

Thank you for your patience with us as we resolve this issue.

25 Likes

Which games:

Recieved date:

today (1/14/2019)

saving method

GetAsync, SetAsync

logs/ other info

the only other info I can think of is that I have never gotten reports of a complete data loss in the entire ten month history of my game. currently if a player loads in and doesn’t have any data, i try loading a few more times, after which it is assumed that they don’t have anything saved and are a first time user.

here is the first time join code (roughly):

the “getStats()” function in question will do a getAsync call if the cache is empty, otherwise it returns what is in the cache. defaultData() returns a new table which contains the default data structure.

3 Likes

Which Game(s):

Received reports:
I received a private message on Roblox at Dec 17, 2018 | 12:14 AM (I’m not sure what timezone Roblox messages are, but if it helps - I’m GMT+ 13)

I then later received another report at 29/12/2018, and another one the following day.

Method of saving/loading:
I use GetAsync paired with SetAsync on two data stores.

Logs:
No logs whatsoever, and I thought that this was due to Roblox datastores just getting traffic

Starting sometime last night, the 13th. Reports are in the hundreds

For the affected keys, which methods do you use (GetAsync, SetAsync, UpdateAsync, etc)?
GetAsync, SetAsync

Seems to be an issue with GetAsync returning nil when it shouldn’t. The theories regarding caching seem possibly correct.

4 Likes

01/07/2019 @ 11:53 PM (report) - 1 person reported losing their data

GetAsync()
UpdateAsync()

Never gotten a report of complete data loss before this. Confirmed that the user only lost their stats, and no their boats (separate keys).

I can give access to my source code with a Github username.

1 Like

For about a week and a half I’ve been getting reports, at this point probably close to +100
The game uses stravants PlayerDataStore module, the one on the wiki
Output frequently shows the data throttled warning but nothing else

Maybe this is worth looking into? A lot of developers, myself included, have been getting this throttling warning. I believe the throttling may be happening for another reason, as my code shouldn’t ever try to save the same key twice within 7 seconds (the documented reason for this throttle warning to appear). Other devs are in the same boat.

6 Likes

Which Games:

Recieved Date:
1/10/19

Saving Method:
GetAsync, SetAsync

Logs/ Other info
No logs whatsoever

I don’t have any issues with DS right now but I honestly appreciate the fact that you guys are making this top priority right now. Keep up the good work! :smiley:

Around 12/30/2018. Two players.

SetAsync and GetAsync.

No, sorry.

1 Like

1/5/19- 2 reports
1/9/19- 1 report
1/10/19- 1 report
1/14/19- 1 report

GetAsync, SetAsync, UpdateAsync

Not that I have noticed

2 Likes

Game:

On the 9th around a dozen or so players all lost their data between the hours of 3 am and 9 am EST. I implemented a failsafe for loading data later that day which may have prevented any further loss since then.

Get and Set

I’ve been getting this error recently when trying to SetAsync, but no errors with Get:

502: API Services rejected request with error. HTTP 0 (HTTP 500 (HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error))

If I remember correctly, there was also occasionally a 5xx error when using Get on the 7th. I haven’t seen it again since then.

Affected games:

Reports received:
Starting around January 2nd, I received my first reports. I myself noticed data loss first on January 5th. I received approximately 20 reports so far, but I’m positive that there’ve been many more players losing their data.

Data store methods:
GetAsync & SetAsync. Code details see Data loss starting two days ago

Logs / information
I don’t have any stored server logs. I did some debugging however and figured the data stores would return nil upon first call without erroring or throttling once at all.
Furthermore, I once launched a VIP server and the data stores appeared to continuously fail on that one specific server. Player data, playlist, leaderboards, etc didn’t load at all, not even after retrying about a minute later. Everything worked fine after restarting the server.

Which Games:

Received Date:
I’ve been receiving messages about data loss since early, around the 15th of, December.

Saving Method:
GetAsync, SetAsync

Sadly I have no error logs.

Which game:

Received date:
15/01/18
DD/MM/YY

Saving Methods:
GetAsync, SetAsync, UpdateAsync

Errors/Output:
No errors are shown. However it seems like when you GetAsync() the data it returns nil…

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who provided information about the issue! We have released a fix and are working on a plan for restoring lost data. See my latest post in Data Stores Data Loss Issue for more details.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had multiple players ask about getting their data restored after being wiped. I haven’t came out and provided information on if data can be restored or not at this time because I didn’t know if there would be some sort of data store rollback or something of the nature. I saw you say something along the lines of wanting to help developers restore data, what do I need to do to get some help with that?