DataStore Data Limit Increase

Since launching Data Stores years ago, the service limited storage to a maximum of 256KB data per key. Since then, games and experiences have only grown to be bigger and more immersive, and developers have had to implement some workarounds in order to save an ever-growing amount of player data.

To address this, as of today, we are increasing the DataStores per-key data limit from 256KB to 4MB!

Note: Request limits for reads and writes are going to stay the same, as is the per-key throughput limit. (Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub)

This new update has been driven by @TheRealBiker @iplaygame_theory @crowsegg @OutsideInSM @dragonknightflies and the dev community keeping us on our toes!

Happy Building :slight_smile:

594 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Does this replace Large Object Stores on the roadmap?

34 Likes

Been waiting for this for quite a long time. Big thanks to the team who worked on this. An increase in requests limits would be nice too, but I have a feeling it would take a while to get it stable.

17 Likes

This is so epic, now I can store tons of data without ever worrying about if it exceeds the DataStore limit (not like I had that issue in the first place :P). Thanks to all the people who contributed to this amazing update!

9 Likes

Excellent. This will help me in the long run.

6 Likes

Bravo, this is incredible.

It’s almost absurd to see a huge jump in the data limit like this but I am not complaining - I imagine this will open the gateway for data-heavy games like Lua Learning to grow more immersive without having to spread among multiple data keys.

Can’t wait to see what creations this opens the door to.

25 Likes

Quite an unexpected update, but surely a welcomed one!

10 Likes

Holy that’s a lot of data u could save

3 Likes

LETS GOOOO

This is great! This will definitely improve bigger games.

4 Likes

Was just about to make a workaround for the small limits today.

Saved me a few hours of work, thanks!

5 Likes

Will there ever be an API to fetch the current data store limits? This would make it much easier for developers to automatically adjust to the rate and data limits (if they are to ever change).

Nice change anyway!

26 Likes

This is an awesome update!

I was struggling myself to get an idea of how to optimize the data size to save, i thought about using multiple keys to save data, now the data limits size increased a ton, 4 Million Characters. I can’t believe that it would increase to that amount of characters, i’m pretty happy with this update, thanks to everyone who contributed with this and made this possible :+1:.

3 Likes

I think this is great news to all developers with big online in game . It would be even more useful and better then earlier . Thank you , Roblox !

3 Likes

Such a big increase! This will be incredibly useful for developers!

3 Likes

I don’t really understand why anyone would need to store this much data, but I’m certainly not complaining.

Didn’t the limit used to be 260K chars? Am I misremembering, did the docs used to be wrong, or something else?

10 Likes

oh wow ! That’s really nice :slight_smile:
I’m happy that you upgrade it

2 Likes

This is a great update. I’m excited to hear more. This is perfect, Thanks <3

2 Likes

This will be amazing. Many games have already transferred their data saving techniques onto external web hosting sites due to the lack of stores he on Roblox, at least now we know there will be plenty of room to store for the future.