DatastoreService ~20 Minute Crash [ADMINS MUST READ]

cri

If DS has issues I might as well start using DP again (it’s easier to use anyway)

[quote] cri

If DS has issues I might as well start using DP again (it’s easier to use anyway) [/quote]

Whatever issues may be going on, they are definitely not permanent. Plan on continuing to use data stores instead of data persistence.

The DP issue wasn’t permanent either.

tbh, I think having to do all of these work-arounds for the DS is ridiculous. If I want to store data, I’m going to store it – I don’t need some data limit per key making me use separate keys for things like reasons someone got kicked. The DS needs to be reworked on how it’s set up, because it was obviously left unfinished.

I like DP more than DS, so I will continue to use DP

[quote] The DP issue wasn’t permanent either.

tbh, I think having to do all of these work-arounds for the DS is ridiculous. If I want to store data, I’m going to store it – I don’t need some data limit per key making me use separate keys for things like reasons someone got kicked. The DS needs to be reworked on how it’s set up, because it was obviously left unfinished. [/quote]

No real world scenario would give you infinite access to your databases. It is fairly easy to use DS and not overdo the limit. The limit is there so we don’t destroy Roblox’s database with thousands of unnecessary queries.

Also, the DS system doesn’t need reworked? It does exactly what it needs to do in a logical, straight-forward way. Using keys to store information in a sectionalized database makes perfect sense.

Other than the service unavailable error that seems to happen every now and then, DS does it’s job pretty well…

@OP

This showed up in my Google Analytics: https://api.roblox.com/persistence/getV2?placeId=152166169&type=standard&scope=global: WinHttpReceiveResponse, err=0x2EE2 | ServerScriptService.PlayerDataScript, line 37

I must say that DS should be 100% online. Or when the issue exist, that it should be fixes asap

Well, if/when a server shuts down, your players can say goodbye to their Data.

DP is definitely poor practice to use now for new projects.

I am not very satisfied with DS uptime and the service unavailable stuff… :angry:

I use both DP and DS to be safe.

Do you still see the issue?

We had some availability problems with Amazon DynamoDB (storage behind datastores), but they’re resolved now.

[quote] Do you still see the issue?

We had some availability problems with Amazon DynamoDB (storage behind datastores), but they’re resolved now. [/quote]

Simon, do you have backups of DataStores ? Since it seems that DataStores have this kind of behavoir quite often.

Stahp it you’re scaring me :frowning:

Lol me and worl just changed our game from DP to DataStore and we were pulling our hair out wondering why stuff randomly didn’t save

What a great first impression of DataStore

[quote] Lol me and worl just changed our game from DP to DataStore and we were pulling our hair out wondering why stuff randomly didn’t save

What a great first impression of DataStore [/quote]

If it makes you feel better, DP can do the same type of thing…

[quote] Lol me and worl just changed our game from DP to DataStore and we were pulling our hair out wondering why stuff randomly didn’t save

If it makes you feel better, DP can do the same type of thing…[/quote]

From my experience, even shutdowns started to no longer affect it. And it did not happen to this extent even.

[quote] [quote=“Aurarus” post=87290]Lol me and worl just changed our game from DP to DataStore and we were pulling our hair out wondering why stuff randomly didn’t save

If it makes you feel better, DP can do the same type of thing…[/quote]

From my experience, even shutdowns started to no longer affect it. And it did not happen to this extent even.[/quote]

Except that time where all the DP was wiped. You know, the huge fiasco where almost 24 hours worth of data was lost and tons of people had their data wiped.

The DP hiccup is hugely overstated and hyped as a reason to never use DP ever ever ever ever ever again. As you can see from this thread, DataStores are unreliable consistently. DP has had one big problem over all its years of working well. DataStores error quite a lot, have considerable latency that seems to be on the rise, and the coding for them is hard to initially grasp.

DataStores also allowing saving and loading data that is not connected to an individual player and have the capability to be stored in an ordered datastore. I suppose they both have their pros and cons.

DataStores also allowing saving and loading data that is not connected to an individual player and have the capability to be stored in an ordered datastore. I suppose they both have their pros and cons.[/quote]

DataPersistance’s biggest Con right now, is if there is another large hiccup of any sorts with it, they likely won’t fix it at this point.