Default R15 Player Animations Now Include Strafing and Backpedaling [Beta]

Amazing feature! Good job roblox devs.

3 Likes

Update to the issue: seems this issue also able to reproduce in an empty baseplate without tools / scripts

• When other players spawn, once the player jumps around and their animation will stop replicating to other clients for a while
  • Animation replication to other players will resume working after around 30 seconds is past
  • The issue will only happen once after that player has joined the server

1 Like

@BloxMachina I’m seeing this issue as well:

3 Likes

Thankyou for your feedback!
We’ve identified this issue and have plans for tackling it ASAP.
It is highly likely to be related to the concerns raised by PeZsmistic.

2 Likes

UPDATE:
You are absolutely correct and we apologize for misinterpreting your question.
While the bandwidth information we posted is correct, there is in fact still a “10 for 10” client-side check to help non-owning Animators dodge replicated hacked ids.
We are addressing this immediately in a tolerant but secure manner.

3 Likes

Dang, I thought it was all good after your first reply. Sucks to realize this so late, but a good opportunity to make this limit more forgiving or easier to develop with perhaps? This limit is the bane of my existence and the same for any other developer trying to do responsive and immersive animation, such as what you’re doing here with this feature. I’m sure you’re just looking for a quick fix to get around the issue but if there’s bandwidth for it, we would all really appreciate a revisit of this limit.

The threads I linked previously are relevant to this: Raise the unique animation limit for controllers and Animations Replicate Inconsistently

I’m getting a very weird bug.

When the character starts moving, especially with reduced humanoid.WalkSpeed, it appears like his HipHeigh is changed, like he’s floating above ground, even tho the actual humanoid.HipHeigh property doesn’t change at all.

No custom animations are inserted, Nothing that affects character’s animations. It’s a StarterCharacter with no initial scripts inside it.

The only thing I’m changing is character’s humanoid.WalkSpeed.

2 Likes

So will these strafing animations be able to be applied to animation packs?

Hello Developers,

Thank you again for your feedback, bug reports, and testing of this feature. We are happy to share that Strafing and Backpedal are now out of beta and available for experiences that choose to opt in!

As a reminder, with Strafing enabled and the default Animate script active, characters who move in directions other than the direction they are facing will use walk-and-run speed animations appropriate for that direction. Typical scenarios where strafing will be impactful are when users activate shift lock or when you disable Humanoid.AutoRotate.

You can opt-in for strafing in your experience by setting Players.UseStrafingAnimation to true. When ON, this property will override the StrafingAnimations beta feature, which will be removed. Strafing will only be active when the game and character are R15 and the owning account has not overridden the default Walk or Run.

Customizing Strafe and Backpedal

You can also supply custom animations to replace the default strafing locomotion if they meet the following criteria:

• All animations live under the Animate script

• All animations include the LinearVelocity Attribute

• Walk and Run are included

• All 4 quadrants of 2D motion are represented (forward, backward, left, and right)

As always, please share any feedback you may have down below.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Loving the feature – my only complaint is one mentioned by others here, the default running forward animation tilts the head down too much making it difficult for other players to see the face of your character. Is there any plans to change that rotation, or perhaps make it more relative to the speed the character is moving at?

3 Likes

if you could help me find those people who made it?

@BloxMachina Heya! I have some questions about this:

• Will strafing be opt-out eventually, so that more experiences end up using them? Being opt-in results in the feature being used less (imagine if layered clothing was opt-in instead of opt-out).
  • Will all catalog animations be updated to have strafing data? I like the strafing feature, but I normally use the werewolf walk animations, meaning I’m not able to use them currently.
1 Like

Hello @Noble_Draconian! We have plans to integrate this and other upcoming improvements into the default avatar setup, but it won’t quite follow the traditional 3-phase roll-out. We’ll have more to share about that as part of a larger animation announcement in the new year.
And yes, style packs are definitely on our radar, but we cannot share a specific date for them to receive strafing just yet. We want everyone to enjoy the benefit of this new feature, so stay tuned!

5 Likes

I agree with you because one of the strafing animations is not looping seamlessly. I have it enabled by default, same problem. One of the animations isn’t either blending right, or one isnt animated seamlessly , but it does seem like one of the leg animations by default!!

Edit: This is with both touch input and xbox controller

1 Like

These animations look really clean!
I presume that these new features will phase out of opt-in in the future- will there then be an opt-out setting?

This was covered in a message that is right above yours:

1 Like

very cool
the head tilting down when moving forward could be tweaked a bit but otherwise very solid

3 Likes

What was changed to address the animation limit issue?

How could I disable this feature since i’m making my own Custom Strafing Module.

I have found the property however disabling UseStrafingAnimations will not work why is this?

I have a very weird bug, could you address this please?

EDIT: Here’s a place file with the bug.
WalkBug.rbxl (131.7 KB)

Press LeftALT to toggle slow walking on/off.

More details about the bug:
The floating happens not only when the speed is reduced, but with the normal speed on some strafing animations.
Strafing Right or Back makes the character float.
Strafing Left doesn’t make it float.

3 Likes