Deprecated Hat Object still being used for Accessories (Multiple Items)

This issue applies to multiple items
Formal Autumn Masquerade
Gold Pigeon Mask
Gold Snowflake Cloak
Gold Spike Baseball Cap
Shield of the Sentinel
Lost Souls Headrow
Winged Pauldrons of Achievement
Armor of the Last Goodbye
Korblox Shoulder Pauldrons
Redcliff Elite Knight Pauldrons
Cobolt Lightning Pauldrons
Magmawrath Pauldrons
Lightning Cobalt Pauldrons
Dragon Scale Pauldrons
Ninja Shoulder Armor
Overseer Armor Pauldrons
Candy Crusher
Ceremonial Guard of the Duke of the Federation
American Warrior: Blue Brawler
American Warrior: Red Pain
American Warrior: White Hot Fury
Ringmaster Top Hat
Deep Sea Royalty
Neon Purple Punk Goggles
Overseer Row
Purple Spectoloupes
Video Game Checkerboard Tie
Purple Dirt Bike Goggles
Yellow Bike Glasses
8-Bit Red Baseball Cap
Yellow Skate Beanie
Winter Giraffe Snow Cap
Formal Harvest Witch
Formal Knit Acorn Cap
Gold Leafy Headpiece
Frightening Gravedigger Top Hat
Hair with White Bat Wings
Too Cool Popsicle Sunglasses
Retro Dance Cap
(I doubt this list is the complete list of every item with a hat object but its everything I could find thus far)

Reproduction Steps
Play any game wearing any of the items listed above

Expected Behavior
Items use the accessory object which supports the attachment object.
(Example of an accessory object)

Actual Behavior
The hat object doesn’t support the attachment object and got deprecated back in 2016. As it doesn’t support attachments it can cause issues with how it functions on R15 characters and can cause issues in games which manipulate a player’s accessories in order to do things.
(Example of a hat object, the positioning of the accessory is kept in the hat object itself instead of the attachment)
Hat objects default the attachment point to a hat attachment which isn’t the right attachment for a majority of items.
(For example, Redcliff Elite Knight Pauldrons a shoulder item moves with the head as it uses a hat object)

Issue Area: Catalog Assets
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: When the items were created
Date Last Experienced: To this day

10 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket in our internal database.

2 Likes

As of May 1st 2023, 2 new hat object items have been uploaded, those being
Golden Ladybug Scarf
Sunny Butterfly Shades

These items were uploaded today, Majority of new Hat Object items have been gift card items and specifically gift card items that are retextures of items created in the past. I understand if there are items that were missed during the conversion of items from Hat Object to Accessory Object back in 2016. But this should not be happening with items uploaded in this age. Especially considering that these items have completely functional versions on the catalog right now.

If internally these items files still are contained as a Hat object it shouldn’t be carried onto actual accessories when they retexture them. There should be more steps taken to make sure that newly uploaded items are fully functinoal (making sure it uses the right object, making sure its positioned properly, making sure there’s no texture issues, making sure it uses the right attachment, making sure its labelled as the correct item type) instead of having to go back to fix these issues which takes months if not years to happen.

6 Likes

For June’s Gift Card items there are 3 that use a hat object
Golden Crabby Bucket Hat
Red Hot Summer Shades
Formal Octopus Top Hat

Issue is still being perpetrated in gift card items every month.

2 Likes

Hey its almost been a year since I’ve made this bug report, I don’t think even a single one of these items has been fixed despite me still consistently running into issues in a variety of games with said accessories. This isn’t the games fault, this is roblox’s fault for continuing to have accessories up on the catalog that continue to use a deprecated object from 2016.

I’ve also found more items that have the same issue, re-textures of old items continue to be uploaded time to time with the hat object
Pink Leopard Shades
Ancient Steampunk Witch
Halloween Spiky Baseball Cap

If you want a few examples from a variety of games I’ve played of said items breaking functionality in-games. (NOTE THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE GAMES THEMSELVES, ITS NOT THEIR FAULT FOR NOT SUPPORTING A DEPRECATED OBJECT FROM 2016, I AM JUST USING THIS TO SHOW EXAMPLES WHERE FUNCTIONALITY BREAKS BECAUSE OF SAID ACCESSORIES)

Game 1: Catalog Avatar Creator

Context: There’s a menu in-game which allows you to adjust the size, positioning, rotation, + other properties of an accessory.

An item that is perfectly fine, menu pops up as usual.

Not there at all, does not detect hat objects (which isn’t the games fault because it was supposed to be deprecated in 2016)

Game 2: Murder Royale

Context: Due to the game using a unique R6 rig which supports R15 features, hat object accessories just don’t appear.

My avatar

noFilter

How I appear in-game

Game 3: RB Battles

Context: RB Battles commonly shows your avatar on pedestals whenever you win a mini-game, however it can’t align hat object accessories properly and they end up clipping on your head.

(Example of how it should look with a proper accessory, no clipping it looks exactly like how it should on your avatar)

With hat object

These are just a variety of games I’ve played that I’ve noticed issues with hat object accessories, there’s probably so many more.

Please, if its not a priority or you don’t think its an issue be transparent, don’t leave an issue like this dead for 8 months while I have no idea if anythings been done or if you guys even plan to do anything about the problem ever.

3 Likes