Deprecating Comments for Marketplace Items

I’m aware that the comments on ROBLOX have always been spammy (and never particularly good or useful), but they added a lot of charm and personality to catalog pages, and it was often desirable to see feedback from community members on catalog items.
I’ll really miss the comments, regardless of how debatably useful they ever were; it just feels like another core part of the ROBLOX platform is being torn away from us.

2 Likes

I agree. Theres so many people talking trash about the furry & emo accessories :123:

4 Likes

After giving it some thought, I changed my mind. If there was a better filter system for scams and spamming, leaving the comments open would’ve been a better option.

I feel like a part of the heart and soul of the site basically died.

3 Likes

Might I inquire where this list resides?

1 Like

#updates:announcements (Mostly.)

1 Like

RIP comments. I’m gonna miss them when they finally get around to deleting them all. I know it’s about time. It was a nice feature for community feedback even though it was very flawed and heavily abused.

I think adding a “make a suggestion” feature that people could use to send a private suggestion to provide a way for creators to receive necessary feedback might be a good start. People would probably still troll with it; although, giving creators a way to filter out certain phrases to have them auto deleted could help prevent that too and reduce it getting spammed. Possibly even adding an option to make it public or private at the creator’s discretion in the future would be nice too. I think giving creators the tools and options to prevent spam and encouraging the use of them could really help create a better environment for community interaction or solely just receiving feedback for your creations. It should be up to the creator which they want to do.

Yapping aside, I hope Roblox takes the feedback here into consideration when implementing a replacement for the comment section and doesn’t make the same mistakes with it.

2 Likes

I agree spam was annoying to see on catalog items and I’m glad I used comments when they were still a thing on them goodbye comments for catalog items you will be missed.

The API started returning 0 comments for everything about 13 minutes ago. GG! NO MORE CRAWLING! It was a pleasure.

3 Likes

As a shirt and graphic designer with a fashion group I speak for almost every fashion group on the website: comments were not flawed and did not have issues for the majority of players. Comments were an important form of feedback for many designers.

Most clothes on the platform simply did not have spam in their comment sections. That is something only limited to the ones at the very top of the catalog with hundreds of thousands of sales. Check any fashion group with less than 500k members and you will not see spam in any clothes’ comment section. It is a problem only the top 1% experience, and they’re also the ones that don’t really need the feedback comments provide.

Getting rid of comments entirely shows a lack of understanding of the problem on Roblox’s part, and shows laziness in how to solve it. Instead of actually coming up with a solution to spam on popular catalog items, you just remove comments entirely so you don’t have to think about it, while not taking into account the effects it has on smaller groups.

3 Likes

oh shit i just realized me being a dumbass was linked at the bottom of this topic

1 Like

My friend owned a clothing group and their products are very frequently copied and republished by randoms, one of our ways of combating this is by posting link to the original item through the comment section of the copied item
I suppose we can set up our own rights through the rights manager, but the ID verification requirement is a privacy risk we can’t take

Thank you so much for the nothing-update

They killed it

Gonna miss the /e free comments, Those were spam anyways
Gives me early 2020 chills of Roblox before they removed it

Fly high, Marketplace Comments

2 Likes

This was too sudden, I didn’t get a chance to look at all the years of comments I have on the items from my group. Is it possible to create a way to retrieve an archive?

I love this decision. It helps to remove spam and copy-pastas but also harassment including homophobia, transphobia, racism, discrimination and etc. Roblox’s Moderation System was very lacking in my honest opinion.

Originally you’d use https://www.roblox.com/comments/get-json?assetId=ITEMIDHERE&startIndex=0 like @trallamone5 gave in their comment but unfortunately all comments have been removed, forever, most likely.

Best other option is the WayBack Machine from the Internet Archive. But I heard the archive has some trouble staying afloat(?)

1 Like

mmm, yet again with the removal of features instead of doing your damn job and moderating the platform.

1 Like

That was not the needed solution, you guys just can’t moderate your own comments.
You took away some of the only advice people can get for UGC.

Add it back.

1 Like

For real!

We need marketplace item comments back!

1 Like

Oh my god, this is very true.
They are so out-of-touch with their community, they pretended to listen to the community during The Hunt: First Edition

1 Like

this is the worst update

removing comments removes of 20 years of people coming back to different things

1 Like