Adjustable Glow Effect for Neon

As a developer, I’d like to see a feature added in Studio that allows you to change the amount of ‘glow’ that the neon material creates from an object. This feature would be great for people who use neon for applications such as windows and signs where the current amount of ‘glow’ makes the light coming from the window seem too bright, or a neon sign hard to read.
@substratosphere, wouldn’t it be nice to have a softer glow coming from the windows, especially from the cockpit?
Right now the pilots would be blinded by the amount of light inside that flight deck (haha). bc9e819ed67c721bd2babf6c96e96702

If the glow effect of neon was adjustable, I’d definitely use it for the windows of my trains in Terminal Railways at night, where the light coming from inside the carriages is softer and more realistic. Hopefully other devs feel the same way and see some great potential with this feature.

Cheers!
-BIT

26 Likes

I would also like to see the Glow effect to be a bit more adjustable. The only way I’ve managed to be able to somewhat dim/control it is by making the part semi-transparent, and using the Bloom filter to adjust the spread… The current neon is a bit to bright.

18 Likes

I mean it glows like neon should, but with us being Roblox devs of course we’re bound to use it for other visual purposes and I think it would be great to adjust the glow!
Also I’m in love with that scene <3

3 Likes

You can already do that. Per part, the intensity depends on part’s transparency, and if you add a BloomEffect, you should be able to control the blur radius via Bloom’s size property.

8 Likes

Well, yeah you can, but bloom affects other things too. It would be nice to have a property for neon intensity and blur radius. Also, transparent neon parts are still transparent. What if you don’t want people to see through it? I guess you could put a part behind it, but then you can usually see the part is separate from the neon. It would be much easier for developers if we could have something easier for this.

6 Likes

Bloom and Neon are the same post-effect. You can set Threshold to 1 on Bloom to suppress the blooming of bright pixels.

You can also just darken the part’s color.

1 Like

I made a thread a while back that includes the option you requested:

Another solution is to bake a texture for it into blender. You could get it to have just the exact look of a glow, but it obviously won’t glow. Would help if you want to pick from a variety of glow looks.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.