Deprecating Surface Tool API

With surfaces being more and more deprecated, is there a chance that parts created with Instance.new("Part") will be changed to be initialized entirely smooth, or will they always have studs on top and inlets on the bottom?

9 Likes

you can just use a ConeHandleAdornment instead. works just as well :+1:

3 Likes

what will we do if we want to make a stud game, we would have to apply a texture on every single brick, this isn’t a smart move, as it takes away game ideas from smaller developers who can’t code well and depend on what they have in studio, perhaps an official surface plugin can come out as a “you can install this if you want to”.

11 Likes

TheZonerBio, Cc @Vundeq OP is only two paragraphs and mentions the new built in replacement for the face-finding use-case in the first paragraph. Please read announcements before replying.

@Wertyhappy27 I don’t see how this impacts “smaller developers” who can’t code(??) well. It is simply an art style gimmick. Developers should explore other art styles. It’s also only a matter of time until a community member builds a good replacement plugin. Roblox need not spend engineering resources to provide this.

@MysteriousVagabond The Instance.new defaults will probably never change since existing code relies on the default properties (i.e. my code only sets X properties on a new instance, if Roblox enables Y properties I don’t expect, then my game might break).

3 Likes

To be fair, the surfaces as they currently exist only display on plastic parts, which already hampers their artistic use cases pretty substantially. You’re better off applying a texture of the surface to the part instead.

3 Likes

Check out Surface Orientation Indicator

4 Likes

Personally, as a classic builder, I don’t like this change. It’s now harder to obtain all studded parts or general studded parts. I don’t like that I have to either write a plugin or wait until someone makes a plugin for it. I get that ROBLOX wants to move away from surfaces, but it’s ruining some parts of the community.

12 Likes

Can’t you just use textures?

rbxassetid://1059424432

8 Likes

I understand your desire–when we were making this call, we looked at our analytics and saw that there were a few people making stud games but not enough to warrant keeping the feature. A texture will be the most future-proof solution, but since the surface API still does exist, it is possible to write a plugin to do so. If the usage was high enough or this feature important enough to warrant a 1st-party plugin, we would have left it as-is, but it wasn’t.

10 Likes

I know changes like this can be frustrating, but since the API is still available, your projects’ current behavior won’t change and it is possible to rebuild the tool’s functionality. Or as others have pointed out, perhaps textures are an option, too.

11 Likes

Good catch. Yes, we will change that, too (goal will be to preserve backwards compatibility; looking into it with eng now). Ironically most of the usage of the Surfaces tool has been to switch parts to be smooth.

11 Likes

This is a solid change. After SOI (Surface Orientation Indicator) was announced/released, surfaces lacked relevancy and became somewhat redundant to the better methods that now exist. Writing a plugin to restore the same functionality is somewhat easy so, there’s really not much downsides to this not being here.

1 Like

FWIW, I do not think this is a good idea. This will break games that expect otherwise.

4 Likes

We are discussing this now. Preserving backwards compatibility is important. At the same time, it seems a bit wonky (to me anyway) if Instance.new spawns a part in a way that you have to use a deprecated API to make it smooth.

12 Likes

Very much hoping this doesn’t affect existing content using studs/inlets/glue visually, could be devastating if it does.

6 Likes

Idk it will be pointless for roblox to remove them since people can use textures to do it again

1 Like

It wouldn’t be hard to build right, as without hotkeys its alot harder and time taking thing to build anything in studio?

1 Like

It is actually possible to bind hotkeys to plugin actions, they just can’t have default bindings, so most plugin authors don’t bother creating hotkey assignable actions for their plugins.

1 Like

Technically yes, you are correct. But I don’t want over 6k parts with textures in them, that’s just very messy and impratical.

6 Likes

Ah, yes, okay. So I have to Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V a texture of studs or whatever other surface I need onto every single part in my game now. That’s wonderful.

4 Likes