Deprecating the Avatar Importer

I actually already uploaded my avatars through the 3D Importer, I think it is amazing that it will be refined and updated! It’s a great way to detect errors as the video says, and the 3D Importer allows me to view my model before importing it which is really just awesome. However, I never used Avatar Importer before; but I’m assuming there won’t be any missing features after migration. Cool update though. :cool:

18 Likes

this doesn’t have anything to do with .rbxm files being removed, basically roblox’s plugins are contained in a .rbxm file as well and the one used for this will stop being shipped with studio as it’s deprecated and being phased out

15 Likes

Thanks for the heads up and for continuing to make the 3D importer better! Also appreciate you guys answering people’s questions in the replies, it’s always really great to see the interactivity.

13 Likes

First I just want to say thank you for the reply, this is one of those questions I have asked in the community for a long time to no avail.
For the “gluing a model’s props to the model itself,” Here is a visual video of me wielding the props to the model, expecting the props to move with the animating mesh, but instead they do not move.
robloxapp-20240529-2001393.wmv (3.3 MB)

When I try wielding the headband to the character’s body, the headband does not remain on the face and goes to 0,0,0 of the body, and since there’s no scroller I can’t tell the c frame location it originally was.
robloxapp-20240529-2040203.wmv (2.1 MB)

15 Likes

That is another million dollar question I have had for a long time I would also like to add: I have several models that I would like to separate into 15 parts but they’re 1 part instead (1 mesh), how does one go about this? “Converting a humanoid mesh into r15”

17 Likes

See this video, it’s a long one but is very comprehensive on the whole process:

The techniques shown there are transferrable to other DCC software such as Blender. Alternatively, make use of Avatar Auto Setup to do all of it automatically.

16 Likes

real talk did ANYONE use the avatar importer…

20 Likes

I feel it’s the creators responsibility for lag. There could also be a way to automatically reduce polygons by the level of detail in settings, of course with an option to disable that.

18 Likes

There is a sort of work around for this, if you attach the prop with a constraint (I’ve used rod constraint) and connect it to a bone, it will move with the mesh.

14 Likes

The issue is that the collisions of large meshparts and in some cases smaller meshparts are inaccurate, making you for example walk on air instead of on the visual surface of the meshpart which requires very performance intensive workarounds due to having to represent each triangle as a normal part when making terrain using your own meshes

12 Likes

I myself rarely use mesh’s but I think it’s great to see this getting an update that it deserves!

9 Likes

when was rbxm being removed???

9 Likes

Will we still be able to/have an alternative for uploading models with the increased Avatar Importer limit of 21k vertices instead of 10? The threshold increase is awfully useful as is, and I’d hate to lose it.
(Edit: For context, the Batch Importer in the place menu is still capped at 10k per model)

10 Likes

Will you support R6 as a rig? Or is there a way to import my R6 character to studio right now?

12 Likes

Not gonna lie I still used the Avatar Importer, by pure preference, although I am gonna admit, the new 3D importer is pretty good too, it’s just when scaling down my models since usually when i import them they end up being oversized, when scaling them down it scales in the wrong axis, but that’s probably because of the fact that in Blender, the Y and Z axis are swapped (atleast for me they are), although I’m not sure exactly

9 Likes

I mean, we didn’t ask for it, but it’s a nice thing to have.

6 Likes

Not sure this is the place to tell this but I would love the 3D Importer to have a button to expand the viewport to fullscreen so I can better inspect the model before importing.

5 Likes

Will you ever support 4k textures?

5 Likes

I didn’t realize this was deprecated yesterday, I just assumed it got removed awhile ago so
I used the 3d importer and it worked perfectly without any issues. (I did get crashing at first but this was likely due to low memory and resolved itself after closing extra studio tabs)

Thanks for the update

5 Likes

RBXM is not being removed and there is no relation to this announcement :slight_smile:

7 Likes