Deselect All by pressing Escape

Sometimes when I’m building something, I want to deselect a part I’ve just placed to see what the scene will look like without the blue selection box. As far as I know, the only way to do this currently is to click on the sky or on a locked part. It would be very convenient if we could deselect everything without having to find the sky or a locked part.

The most critical use case I’ve run into is building inside a room made of unlocked parts. I have my camera at a very specific angle and I want to get rid of the glowing blue box so I can see the scene how the player will see it. I must currently move my camera outside of the room, click on the sky, and move the camera back to the specific location.

33 Likes

This could be super useful in Studio where ESC doesn’t open the menu.

Support

1 Like

I agree this would be useful. You can shift-click on a part to deselect it though.

game.Selection:Set({}) from command bar or plugin works too (not as convenient as Esc would be though)

1 Like

Yes! Why has no one suggested this before?!!

You can also click on empty space in the Explorer.

I’ve added this to our review list.

1 Like

Ah, didn’t know that. I think using Escape would still be significantly faster and more comfortable.

It’s a habit to zoom out like crazy and click on the sky so it doesn’t really bother me, but it’s an extremely unconventional way to go about clearing the selection and it’s a bit odd that there isn’t already a feature to intuitively do so.

This would actually be useful
support

3 Likes

While this is in development, here, a super simple plugin that does exactly that: https://www.roblox.com/ESC-deselect-all-item?id=476325015

Will work with any other plugin simultaneously, as long as it doesn’t want to use ESC key and selects parts with selection service.

3 Likes

I thought I had, but now I can’t find it.

This has its own problems (1, 2).

1 Like

Or as I’ve suggested before, how about allowing the Transparency of the SelectionBox in the Studio Settings to be changed if you are just trying to see how Parts are aligned?
This wouldn’t allow you to deselect the Parts so the SelectionBox wouldn’t be visible, but when you are trying to match up two Parts within .001 studs it would make it so much easier.
I’ve used the Command Bar to move Parts within .0001 studs, but it’s still a pain. I got lots of support with my previous thread about this but nothing from ROBLOX.

I’m still hopeful we get this.

Are there any updates on this?

If there’s something with a long name in the explorer, the deselection margin gets very small. Sometimes I have to drag my explorer scroll bar all the way to the right so I can click on the margin to deselect something. This got worse with the addition of the plus button, which pushes this margin even further right.

Maybe instead of ESC, they could use CTRL+A and if something’s selected it just deselects all, but if nothing’s selected it selects all.

Not sure when it was introduced, but this is a thing and you can configure it from Esc as well now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.