Design Changes to Game Tiles (Limited Rollout)

People judge how good they think a game will be based on the number of people playing the game, this means that the more money you have the higher the chance of success. The success of a game should be based on the feedback of the players: the ratings and favourites do this perfectly. I agree that they should be seen over the player count.

2 Likes

I wonder how many people look at ratings? I’ve never found them particularly useful, myself, but I’m sure other people have.

Which stat do you usually look at before joining a game?

• I look at Ratings
  • I look at Player count
  • I look at neither or both

0 voters

3 Likes

I see both because it’s there, but I don’t use that to determine if I want to play games.
With Roblox conducting a large scale A/B test, we will take whatever inference from the data they gather as scientifically true. Off of your original point, but if having number ratings gives better CTR than the bar ratings, new update it is, whether or not rating is first.

2 Likes

I agree. My opinion doesn’t really matter much as long as the overall results are positive! :grin:

Q: Where did the creator name go?
A: The creator name has officially been removed from the hover state on the game tiles. We did this to make it easier for players to find the best games we have to offer by refocusing on what is most important to them. Your group and username will always be viewable on the Game Details page.

I don’t like this one.

People can bot games that are using existing game thumbnails and gamepasses.
Combine it with a group named like the creator and ta-dah.
Master scam.

33 Likes

I only look at ratings if it’s a game I don’t know.

Eh, it’s an okay update though I guess.

I look at both. Usually just a quick glance at the ratings bar to set my expectations, and player count to pique my interest and compare games to eachother.

2 Likes

Looks like I wasn’t one of the lucky winners to test it :frowning: Is there a way to opt in or is the A/B testing random?

2 Likes

I just wanted to bring one issue up : Why is removing developer’s names from the game tile a good idea?

If you’re a known dev and you release a new game, players will see your name on the game tile and play it because they recognize the name and they think “Hey, I like the games this developer makes!”.

By removing the developer’s name from the game tile you revoke this opportunity.

7 Likes

What’s a dark theme?

–
For @BusyCityGuy and @TheAmazeman

I initially thought the same thing, that the player count should be on the left and the game ratings on the right. The decision to put the player count on the right is because it had more white space to grow.

A game rating can have a max of 3 digits. A player count (depending on locale) may have 5+. With this we have plenty of whitespace on the right to adjust for languages that put spaces to denote number abbreviations. This also allows us to get more precise with the number.

Here is 58,000 abbreviated in Spanish: 58 mil
Here is 58,000 abbreviated in Italian: 58 mila

Hope that clears up any confusion.

13 Likes

:eyes:

4 Likes

This makes a lot of sense, actually.

I think most users would agree that the creator’s name is important information in order to “find the best games we have to offer.” It seems the only reason it was removed was to make more space for the game title to wrap across two lines? (Not to mention this leaves a pretty jarring empty space when the game title does not span two lines now). The removal of the creator name itself is definitely not helping anyone find quality games.

I feel like creator name should at very least be present while hovering over a game, if not always present.

12 Likes

Just to let you know, #2 has happened before, and they sorted these issues

1 Like

looks great imo! loving the full titles for the games.

one thing ive noticed is that when you hover over a game, the icon becomes slightly blurry all of a sudden?

This has already been mentioned but I believe this is a step on the wrong direction. If you ask any gaming enthusiast what company are games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls from, they will promptly answer that those are Bethesda’s.

Names play a huge role in game marketing, and big companies know that (see: Electronic Arts, Capcom, Blizzard, Bethesda, Valve). Take one of their game cases or boot one of their games and the first thing you will see is their logo.

I believe the same applies in our Roblox work environment too. I associate StyLiS, ROLVe, Badimo with their respective games and I believe many others do too. Players see certain users and associate their games with them.

By removing the creator name and since it is an important marketing element, you are forcing us to put our studios’ logos/names on our icons, taking away vital space which could be used for other more important information which we could be using to sell our games.

You can’t visit the creator’s profile/page anymore with this update, too.

9 Likes

If it stopped, it stopped for a reason? Whether it has or hasn’t happened, my mind doesn’t change on the matter.

1 Like

You can also hover over the number to see the exact amount:

I like the new design overall, but now that people have mentioned it, I do think leaving out the group/developer name isn’t a good idea, and opens the door a bit wider for clones and scam games.

10 Likes

Hm

Can the text for each game’s title be centered… it’s bothering me sooo much they’re not centered, it looks bad.

Other than that, eh. Okay. Fine update

I personally believe that the creator’s name should also be visible. Also, I think it’d make more sense for the player count to be to the left and the rating to be to the right. Although nsgriff explained how the white space makes a difference, it looks more appealing in my opinion.

For instance, this looks much better in my opinion.

6 Likes