Design Changes to Game Tiles (Limited Rollout)

There is intentionally blank space under the name, so that the game name can wrap to two lines if it is too long for one. If the Creator name is there, then there is not enough room for the name to be wrapped to two lines.

Little strange putting player count after rating, but quality should be over quantity in my opinion. Not sure how I feel about the creator being removed, if we want to encourage studios shouldnā€™t we hype players up when BADIMO or REDMANTA release a new title? Brand should be just as important when deciding what game I pick.

Happy to see more room for the title, so Iā€™ll give it a thumbs up.

10 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how I feel about this, it looks weird. I think I prefer the older game tiles compared to the current ones. Something about the game rating being to the left of the player count and all of that empty space throws me off.

2 Likes

There seems to be an issue with page zoom and the new rating/player count icons. I use Chrome with 80% zoom, this is the result on the new page.

Screenshot

3 Likes

Thx the game tiles look much better now, especially with the % and more space for the name.

2 Likes

This is actually a great explanation. Iā€™m curious though, is there any reason for both the player count and game ratings to be left-alligned?

I really like the design proposed by @Azutreo (minus the creator name):

Is there a design philosophy behind making both elements left-aligning, or would something like the above example make sense? (Perhaps something to A/B test?)

4 Likes

Removing the username or group name does seem like a pretty dangerous idea, considering people can like, favorite and user count bot their games now.
Conceptually someone can do something like make a game called ā€œJailbreakā€, like bot it, and then user count bot it, and then use stolen map geometry of jailbreak, and have it look like the user is loading in, and then put up a window saying that ā€œyouā€™ve been disconnected from the server, re-enter your username and password to log back inā€. This is technically possible right now, but you get more of a chance to see the group name currently

11 Likes

Maybe the tiles could dynamically size on the Y axis so that games can have their full titles shown but also have their creators displayed somewhere? So basically games that need 2 lines of text are slightly longer than others.

I donā€™t think it would look that bad if itā€™s subtle.

1 Like

How about the game tiles were just square images like this:

And more information popped up when you hovered over them:

This would make the games page less messy and push developers to create even better game icons to attract their players as there would be no more text displayed until someone actually hovered over the icon.

15 Likes

Or maybe just hover over them to see the creatorā€¦

I would be incredibly annoyed if the title of the game wasnā€™t stated in plain text because at least 50% of all game icons donā€™t even have text on them to begin with, and even with those that do there would be no consistency with fonts and whatnot.

6 Likes

Well you could always have a small bar at the bottom with just the name of the game and how many people are playing it and when you hovered over it would show the like to dislike ratio and the name of the creator. :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, that would work too. I just hope they donā€™t only show icons :confused:

Suggestion: Center everything and size up shorter titles! Much more pleasing to the eye.

2 Likes

The inconsistency of text-size on your example hurts my eyes.

24 Likes

I actually really like this, one of the best updates on the site this year imo

Interestingā€¦ Still have the old game page so I will have admire it until it gets removed :frowning:

1 Like

Re: Removing Creator Name
@jewelycat @CodingLucas @Azutreo

We removed the creator name because the only way to access it was on hover on Desktop, and we wanted to make the information being displayed to the user as simple as possible. You will always be able to access the creator name on the Game Details page. Brand development is going to encompass much more than Desktop users hovering over your game tile.

If you are concerned about scammers or bots, we have projects rolling internally to tackle this difficult problem. As always, you can report clones directly to our customer service team or post them here in the DevForums.

ā€“
Re: Blurry Image on Hover
@X622

This has to do with how we fetch users Game Icons after they are uploaded. We wanted to implement a hover state, and this is what we did for the time being until we get around to changing that implementation detail.

ā€“
Re: Decision on Left Alignment
@berezaa @4Sci

We aligned all our elements because it handled more cases elegantly than the other options we played with. Centering can get really strange as numbers shift. The design suggested by @Azutreo seems like a good compromise, however; the rating number just chilling on the right side can look off with all that content sitting on the left.

As I posted in my previous post, we also had to account for localization and numbers shifting.

4 Likes

We should have

1. Game Icon
  2. Game Name
  3. Show if you have it favorited (Optional, but would be nice to easily show if you favorited it already next to the name)

What we donā€™t need

1. Like/Dislike percentage
  2. Players online
  3. Creator name (already gone)

Why?

All of the things not needed are easily found on the games page once clicked. Roblox should move away from directly displaying stats to players on the games page and focus more on game icons and names. It would not only give a clear and concise view of all the games available but would also be pretty on the eyes with the minimal amount of information players need to take in while browsing.

Another reason why a minimalist approach is good is because it also mimics other gaming platforms with a simple style. Steam for example does not display stats to people browsing the store other than the systems the games available on and the price (and genre but Roblox removed genre sort GRRRR) as seen below:

Why? I donā€™t want to have to click on every game one at a time to find one with a decent rating.

8 Likes

I donā€™t agree.

• Likes/Dislikes are a quick way to judge whether or not a game thatā€™s not well known is worth a look. We should be able to spot decent games in the tile ocean without clicking on every single one.
  • It is very disappointing to click into an interesting looking game only to find out thereā€™s nobody playing it. We should be able to spot an active game from the tile view.
  • It would be interesting to be able to see whether or not a game is in our favorites from the tile view, however, thatā€™s literally what our favorites list is for. Including it on the tile would be unnecessary clutter.
  • Mimicking a gaming platform like Steam when Roblox is fundamentally different is unwise.
    • Roblox is primarily a multiplayer social gaming platform. Steam is very much not that.
7 Likes