Detecting what side a part is touching

Is it possible to detect what side a part is touching? (Left right top ect.)

I want to avoid raycasting since I’m not the best with that. What I’m trying to do is put a part on the side it touches. So for example bullet hole decals.

Sorry if this is not possible, I want to take the lazy approach

1 Like

While this is not alot of info, i’m going to try to explain what I’m trying to do
Where ever a player clicks it places a part there - Done
Rotates the part to rest on what side of the part I clicked - What I need

Raycasting could have been used for it although you don’t want to use it :confused:

Its mostly that I don’t know how to use it at all, I avoid it since I hate using things I can’t control really

Don’t avoid it. It is going to make you a better scripter over all. Eventually your going to learn it if you want to be a good scripter so why not do it now?

1 Like

Adding on to this: Raycasting is the proper approach to this issue and it’s quite surprisingly dead simple to learn. Took me 15 minutes to master the basics and I was ready to raycast.

This is the newest and most performance friendly raycasting method WorldRoot | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

2 Likes

Yep I agree with you, OP would solve this using the Normal property of the RaycastResult which answers OP’s question

1 Like

Hmm… ill read into it. Hopefully that it will work and I can do what I wish

I didn’t learn how to raycast, but I found a way to do it. Its not perfect though and has massive issues. But hey, it works. I will leave this open though incase someone comes around and figures out how.

Yeah after a bit of reading I think I’m ready to go back to raycasting

1 Like