DevChat | Communicate using Roblox Studio

Oh alright. Did you minify it to prevent copy and paster’s making a backdoor version?

1 Like

Partly. It also reduces file size and was a fun exercise to improve my bash and GitHub Actions skills.

Probably not using this since discord already exists for me, but hey! There are even custom features that I do not use to see in roblox chats like the one of sending images via asset id, that’s pretty original and it would even be suitable for not only dev chats but also normal chats.

And oooohhh man, what can I say about that UI, beautiful.

6 Likes

This is sick! This is much better than the Roblox team create chat. Will definitely use this!

1 Like

Just to ensure, did you remember to use TextService:FilterStringAsync?

TextService:FilterStringAsync is intentionally disabled by Roblox in Studio. They don’t filter user input either. No worries, there is no chance that Roblox’s automated place scanning tool is going to be able to detect profanity because the data gets encoded.
Read the whole discussion about this topic:

“Since Studio itself while in play solo/test mode, there is no ability to filter. So even Roblox’s own Chat while in a play solo/test mode, is completely unfiltered.”

Both Chat:FilterStringForBroadcast() and chat:FilterStringAsync() still exist and can be used.
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/function/Chat/FilterStringForBroadcast

This is actually the one developers are supposed to use.

1 Like

You can’t get the player instance in Roblox Studio unless you are in a Team Create session. The paragraph at the bottom explicitly states “game” and not plugin.

1 Like

That doesn’t work. Not even Roblox’s built-in animation editor filters user input, so I think I’m safe
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-07 um 23.24.29

I have seen this, I don’t know if it does this, but does it have a typing indicator for when another person is typing?

Kind of useless when you have discord, but good job anyways.

3 Likes

Nope, it doesn’t have that at the moment. Could be a feature worth adding in the future, though

I wrote a whole paragraph on why it’s worth using.

#resources:community-resources is meant for feedback. This is not valuable feedback.

Does this save chat history? I so plan on using this due to team create chat keeps breaking.

Yes, of course. It saves it in a Folder in ServerStorage. (The data is encoded)

I have another idea: Rich text. You can do **strong text** to make it bold, *emphasized text* be italic and ~~your text here~~ be strike-through and __your text here__ can be underlined and color can be whatever.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. In fact, it’s already enabled. Typing <b>YourTextHere</b> will display the text bold.

Thanks, I have a lot of great ideas! I will continue suggestion anymore if I have any!

1 Like

I have another idea: maybe make a box like Discord and have it so you can insert and image asset id or link, and it will embedded and it will show the image instead of the link.

1 Like

You could steal the function from my RichText module in my custom chat to do just that :flushed:

1 Like