Developer Hub Update

We’re aware that enum-type cross references aren’t properly linked.

2 Likes

Ok so I’m running into an issue with the new Developer Hub that had previously been fixed with the wiki reenabling. On the wiki page MarketplaceService:GetProductInfo() there used to be a table listing what was returned in the dictionary, ie Name, Description, ImageId, etc, but now I’ve looked around on the page and there is no place where that information is listed. Without this information the function is basically useless and I think it’s important that it be added back.

3 Likes

Are you sure it took you only one scroll to get to the events section for BasePart on the old wiki?

BasePart’s a bit of a bad example for the “I have to scroll” argument considering the sheer number of API members there are, plus the class itself now has a description that pushes the list of members “below the fold”. There’s a sidebar that lets you jump to the members you’re concerned with, so I’m not sure what to make of this feedback.

This seems to be the same problem as what @Maelstronomer was having. Let me check with the team regarding page publishes, because I definitely wrote that page and it’s definitely not showing up :open_mouth:

1 Like

A lot of the text colors fail color contrast accessibility checks. Even with good eyes, a lot of the light pastel colors and grays are way too light.

Edit: I’m using the WebAIM site to check this. I use that site almost every week for work.

3 Likes

Yes I am definitely sure it only takes one scroll. I have a high density monitor too.

2018-08-30_12-29-16

While this gif is here, this is what I’m talking about. Looking at this, I can see many many many more components of a single object at once. I browse the wiki a lot and something that gets added to make it take any longer makes it really annoying.

BasePart is not a bad example because the layout affects all of the items. Yes I gave a dramatic page but that doesn’t deter from the fact that the layout is extremely vertical for every single item. It’s also hard to read key elements like function names and such. Maybe bold them to make them stand out more.

Your side bar doesn’t help either. It’s garbled and messy because it’s wrapping the text down a few lines. Yes I do know it’s a shorter path to scroll on but when you make it harder to read from a first glance, it’s almost as annoying as the first issue.

7 Likes

I see your point now, I agree. It looks like the wiki used about 22px for a single-line member item and the new devhub uses about 70px. I think the biggest thing that helps with readability is that the member names are aligned to the left, which should help the issue that @ScriptOn pointed out. We’re talking about further style improvements internally, thank-you for bringing these things up (we’re especially aware of how the right navbar/TOC isn’t as useful as it should be, especially for long pages).

1 Like

Found another issue with the header.

This is probably an issue with the html generation. The type display needs to opt into my type-linking template. I’m no longer on IX so unfortunately I can’t address this.

cc @cowbear16 @UristMcSparks @Ozzypig

On the mobile version of the roadmap you need to scroll in each section to see more. It should be expanded so we don’t need to scroll. If you don’t think to scroll on them you would not see every feature listed.

If I recall correctly, we took a middle ground between having this extreme compression on the wiki and the previous spacing that it had, with the compromise being the navigation sidebar.

We can’t make everyone happy, but we want to make sure that everyone can distinguish the individual members regardless of their experience with the platform. Sure, an experienced developer can look at a crunched up page with no spacing and get a general idea of what each member does, but a new developer might be overwhelmed with the information density.

You should utilize the sidebar to quickly navigate to what you’re looking for. Adjustments can likely be made if others are having issues with it as well (like you mentioned). In the mean time, you can feel free to use a CSS styler plugin to adjust the pages to your needs.

1 Like

This is a side effect of how the new JSON API Dump is handling security information. Security is no longer defined by a generic tag, it’s a separate field. It can probably get fixed though, but I personally believe we could be presenting the security information better than just using a tag.

That’s great, the sidebar was definitely a good idea to throw in.

It just wasn’t thrown in with the thought of readability. The text wraps as I said before, making it very unreadable at some points, and the sub category text such as “Properties”, “Methods”, and “Events” are the same color as the members themselves. It’s hard to utilize it as you said because of these reasons.

That’s fair. I agree that the density of information listed in the sidebar should get reduced. This will probably get fixed in the near future.

1 Like

Thank you @Maximum_ADHD

I’ll make sure we consider this request as we review the design for these pages. There are still more elements and features we want to add to these pages, so when we go through that process we can bring this up.

1 Like

This is a toggle to display deprecated members. At the moment it does not appear to be working: we will look into getting this fixed up.

2 Likes

There have been several requests to support ultrawide monitors. For this pass our focus was on more conventional monitor layouts, but given the level of interest in this feature I will make sure we look into this

2 Likes

I agree that tags should have hover tooltips. I think there is more functionality we can build around tags, particularly for filtering and search.

As for vertical space, this does indeed take up more room than the wiki. One of the key design decisions was to move the description to the line under the signature. This was necessary to accommodate api with very long signatures (I’m looking at you FindPartOnRay). That said, we will continue to iterate on this design to optimize space to find that balance between readability and compactness.

3 Likes

So to get to the list of properties/methods, I usually need to scroll down on the page, and if I need to see the deprecated members I’d need to scroll up, hit that switch, and then scroll down again? That seems like a UX issue. I would suggest putting it close to the property/method lists, just like the Hide/Show button on those. It should probably also say “Show Deprecated” rather than “Deprecated”, so that newer users don’t accidentally mistake i.e. DataStoreService as being deprecated, which it obviously is not.

This is a known issue - we’ll try to get to it soon

1 Like