Developer Hub Update

This is definitely an issue. We will make sure that items in the signature have the appropriate links

1 Like

Can you please add a dark theme to the API pages?

The old version was compatible with the global dark theme I have for all roblox sites.

1 Like

I personally the Dark Roblox stylish theme for the API pages. It has a clean Discord dark theme vibe to it.

However I do whitelist out the DevForum with ‘URLs matching the regexp’ : ^https?://(?!devforum\.)([^.]+\.)?roblox\.com.*$ due to hyperlinks not appearing blue. Alternatively you could make it apply only to the API pages.

1 Like

The updates have helped but I feel that more work is needed to improve the usability.

Each new page you need to collapse the side bars even if you have done so on other pages. I feel that it would help users if your previous choice carried over to the new pages.

I am not sure if there are plans to add in the icons to the class tree view but these icons are widely used and should be included.

Secondly the tree view shows broken ends shown in the image below. This was just a search for Part.

I really agree with this, I get that it’s probably because I’ve always used the old wiki myself, but this new devhub is really really hard to get used to; I have tried to avoid it as much as possible as it’s somehow completely unreadable for me. Forcing the new styling negatively impacts my developing experience massively.

I couldn’t agree more about functionality over styling, the massive amount of information on the page with little differentiation really gets to my brain and I can’t focus on one area at all, finding one function name or a single parameter takes at least two or three times longer than it used to :frowning:

7 Likes

Yeah I have that exact theme installed for it, but the new devhub pages don’t respect this theme.

Bug Reports:

The “Deprecated” toggle is shown in search results

This can mislead users into believing the class is deprecated. Having section titles like “What is a Part” in the search result also makes it kind of weird to read. May produce better results if section titles are omitted?

No tooltip when mousing over dashed lines:

Can’t use up/down arrows to navigate search results

Redirect Problems

Broken redirect:

No redirect:

2 Likes

Is there a reason the pictures on the home page look really pixelated for me? Especially the “Build Your First Game” one. (Full screen the image to see what I’m talking about)

Yeah I see it too, in that screenshot you provided, so it’s not your monitor / PC.

It would be great if these would link to whatever page contains everything with the tag

6 Likes

As far as I know, tags are mostly used for search indexing.
It certainly would be nice if the DevHub had category pages though.

1 Like

That’s one of the things that’s always bothered me with the wiki and now devhub. I want pages that aggregate other pages. If this were wikipedia, there would be links to the pages for:

• What an event is
  • What a connection is
  • A list of all events
1 Like

Technically there are pages for those first two:

https://www.robloxdev.com/api-reference/datatype/RBXScriptSignal
https://www.robloxdev.com/api-reference/datatype/RBXScriptConnection

but they aren’t linked are they

Wikipedia is great because of the way every page connects to every other relevent page. The Devhub currently feels like it forces me to make use of the search engine to find relevent pages which is extremely frustrating for multiple reasons (see: Ex1 Ex2).

They are linked, but only sometimes (which is a problem that needs to be fixed).
If the member is directly inherited, then it correctly uses the type linking system I made.
In the case of inherited members, they aren’t using the right template for it.

Your frustration is warranted. A lot of this frankly should be fixed by now and I don’t know whats holding things up. Perhaps there are still some hurdles that are being worked out internally, I’m not sure. I just hope things get better soon because I really wanted this to be something much better than it ended up being.

2 Likes

Another thing, I have to scroll sooooooooooooo far in order to see events, why is there not a quick access tab at the top? The quick access on the right is completely useless because by the time a page is long enough for me to need it, the column itself requires almost as many scrolls as the body of the page

It saves me from like 4 scrolls out of a total of 25. Not only this but half of it may as well be in chinese. Look at these sausages of words / symbols

Tomorrow I might just write a giant megathread of design suggestions to help ease the use of the devhub because it feels like every time I try to use it, the user experience is so frustrating that it completely distracts me from development

2 Likes

Function signatures showing up in the quick access is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

Hi, any word on these redirect + missing page problems being fixed? Ever since the developer hub was released, I’ve had to resort to using the Roblox Wikia because critical information like security context (I need to know where I can use members!) and parent class information has either been completely inaccessible or ridiculously difficult to access.

1 Like

It’s being worked on.

Yeah, that’s been said a lot.