Developer should be able to close their Team Create servers

As a developer, it is impossible to shut down Team Create servers. We had an issue in Pirate’s Life where people were connected to the server and some of us were unable to connect. We had to ask everyone to leave the server, which costed us valuable development time. We used to be able to just use Shut Down All Servers to close it off, but that was changed in favor of what people wanted (which is understandable).

Being able to shut down a TC server would allow us to immediately act on the issue and future issues that may arise unexpectedly. What are your thoughts about this? :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

I agree with this, buuut I kind of feel like those connection issues should just be fixed regardless. It feels like this would be only a small solution to a bigger problem. I’ve had the same connection issues and wasn’t aware of how it could be fixed. I think if they are going to work on the connection problems, it’d be wise to give us a solution until then. This could be helpful, I guess.

1 Like

I agree that the disconnection bug should be fixed, but what about the other times that you’re unable to connect? Most of the time it’s just something that could be fixed by flushing the server out. The connection issues are definitely a problem / bug that should be fixed but I would still like some means around it because it prevents hours of work for our team and has been an on-going issue that keeps happening, whether it’s the same bug or an update that happens to cause similar issues.

Well that’s what I’m saying. All kinds of connection bugs should be solved ideally, but this suggestion is probably a good idea for the meantime.

Ironically enough, I’m getting a bug where I can’t connect now. yee haw

1 Like

Sounds like a feature request. Though, I think it’s important to note that, for whatever reason, Team Create is still in beta and has been this way since its launch. I remember when Shut Down All Servers could close Team Create sessions as well but did that actually work as a solution to the whole connectivity problem? As far as I’m aware, this has been a constant problem.

What we also need is the ability to have manual team create in group games so we can invite certain people in the group with edit access to work on certain games, as a builder has no need to access the full game unlike a scripter.

I don’t think it worked as a solution. It would only work as such if the game was hosted away from the actual game and at a test place, though I don’t know if everyone is alright with doing something like that. :thinking:

This has been a constant problem that’s persistent in coming back. Even if the service was labeled as “beta”, that doesn’t interfere with the fact that multiple game studios that make some of the most popular games on Roblox use this tool for their work. I shouldn’t have to wait for the server to close and reopen to get back to work.

1 Like

TC permissions should have both a group and a user whitelist! Although that’s an entirely different feature than what I’ve stated here. :sweat_smile: Make a feature request for it!

1 Like

They have a user whitelist for group games?

And yes I did make a feature request for it. (3 times!)

It sounds like the root problem is that Team Create servers sometimes get into a bad state where developers are unable to connect. This is unacceptable – whenever you get in this situation, please file a bug right away so we can fix it.

Adding an option to manually shut down the server would be like putting a band-aid over a deep cut – it may stop the bleeding for now, but it does not address the underlying issue.

We are working on splitting out access permissions such that you will be able to do this. Expect something around this by mid 2019.

5 Likes

While this sounds nice from a visionary’s perspective, we’ve almost had Team Create for three years now. Roblox can keep saying “In an ideal world…”, “In an ideal world…”, but how many years will it be until Team Create is stable enough that it never gets into a bad state? The team that OP is on (Red Manta) has already reported this specific issue, and has provided numerous reports in the past, but new ones keep popping up.

Unless it can guarantee Team Create will never get into a bad state within a reasonable timeframe, Roblox should definitely provide a stopgap measure to shut down TC servers (or turn off Team Create from the website, which accomplishes the same thing). While it may be in a beta state, countless top developers rely on Team Create for their projects – is this vision of an ideal world so important to Roblox that it’s worth blocking the creation of the top games across our platform?

13 Likes

Do you really think it’s possible to make something that never breaks?

To me that sounds ridiculous.

7 Likes

Is it possible to have both the deep fix as well as the quick bandaid? This frequently hurts my current team as well and I’m not sure how I would report these issues since they are sporadic and inconsistent. I understand that it might reduce the amount of bug reports because people are more likely to just shutdown and move on rather than reporting it, but I don’t feel like Roblox is quick enough yet in addressing these deep issues to not have the quick shutdown option.

5 Likes

I forget to mention in my last post: as a workaround, you can enable and disable Team Create for your game. This will force the server to shutdown and achieve the desired affect.

1 Like

This requires you to be able to connect to the Team Create server in Studio. The reason a developer is going to want to shut down Team Create servers is because they can’t get into them. We need a way to disable Team Create from the website.

6 Likes