#development-discussion should be regular locked!

As of now, #development-discussion is a bad category. There is too much spam, controversy, toxicity, and offtopic posts. This issue can be mostly curbed by requiring Regular to create topics and maybe add post approval to posts.

There will be less topics being created. It’s not gonna be little to none however, bug reports has more than enough new topics all the time.

Post approval may seem gone. It’s actually not, it still rarely exists today. It can pretty much stop all offtopic posts and unnecessary toxicity, at the cost of being unsustainable. This is why it’s a maybe.

A Regular isn’t going to make bad topics or posts. Hence, no more crapposts. No more What do you while developing? trend, and no more spam. You’ll be safe even during the moderator’s slumber.

The only issue is that it may block a few actually good members. To fix this, a new group can be created for #development-discussion, similar to @Bug-Support. This can allow members to publicize important issues if a regular hasn’t already.

3 Likes

That is incorrect, I’ve seen some regulars coming here only to get ranked up and start making spam

Also it would be better if #development-discussion has an approval system, and you can always mute the category

2 Likes

That’s right to be honest.

It’s your decision to mute.
and no one has to bother you

2 Likes

Yes, but why is the quote in turkish when it’s clearly in english?

2 Likes

Because I am a turkey developer. :smile:

I know English very well, but I don’t know some words, so I translate them into Turkish in the website.

2 Likes

Regulars already got too many topic access which is simply unfair for us. Atleast allow bug reports.

4 Likes

We can access #bug-reports and #feature-requests using @Bug-Support, but They can access #lounge which makes members mad, but it is an off-topic category if you’re curious, it’s dead and it should be removed

1 Like

You can not ask them for #feature-requests only #bug-reports and even then its really hard as it takes them 5-10 days to reply and till then the bug is already fixed. It is rare they reply in a day or two but usually 5-10 days min.

Wish that existed for us too. If that exists then #development-discussion would be safe from troll posts ngl.

3 Likes

Nah they usually go by the first category they see, which 99% of the time is #development-discussion

Just bump the post constantly, also I made a really long paragraph about it

ok, so I noticed a member named SwitchedDreams creating one, I got confused so I made a topic asking that, then he responded telling me that staff approved it, and someone named Mister33j asked him what group he messaged, I was showing that some member was able to make one in some topics asking how to post in feature requests, then one time, Hooksmith came up to me and told me that @Bug-Support also approves feature requests, then I made a feature request asking for custom services (I know I don’t need that, it’s most likely to test if it works) and it worked, but people are telling me not to do that, then I made another feature request and many agreed (I realised that I stole plasma_node’s feature request, however, he didn’t get mad at me, he liked the post instead, keep in mind that both of these feature requests are made using @Bug-Support

1 Like

Hey @oddcraft18, an actual Regular guy here:

I and everyone else who has been using the Developer Forum for a time now is pretty aware of new incomers posting topics that may be off-topic and not even a discussion. However, locking the category just because people with a trust level of “Regular” wouldn’t make such a difference. People with high or low ranks can still make random topics at any time.

We don’t need a new #development-discussion, because as Regular members, we have #lounge where we can speak about anything related to Roblox and engage further with the topic we created in that category.

Hope this clarifies better. Feel free to ask me if my message is not understandable and I can explain it with details!

2 Likes

That’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If #development-discussion was locked to regulars, then people would not be able to ask serious questions related to developing. When I look at #development-discussion, I see 2 off-topic posts compared to 12 serious ones. Are we really going to lock an entire category to Regulars just because a few people can’t get their act together?

1 Like

NoTice the high toxicity in most topics as well as it going completely offtopic rather fast. There’s a reason people always mute this category.

1 Like

Toxicity isn’t something that can really be avoided. It happens. While I think the category is a mess with inappropriate posts, trolls, and spam responses. I think there are better alternatives to address this issue.

2 Likes

It’s still a rather extreme solution to just lock Members out of the category. There’s VERY few Regulars on this platform compared to normal Members (I’d estimate about 15% of people on the DevForum are Regulars). You’d be locking a majority of the population here just to curb off-topic posts. Even if Roblox did, in fact, lock this category, people are just going to post in a different category. With that logic, we may as well just lock the entirety of the DevForum to Regulars.

Even though #development-discussion is in a bad state, locking the category is not the solution.

1 Like

I disagree with this statement. I like it.

1 Like

Hey folks, the feature request as written does not align with how we see this forum work in the future. We want people to have posting access to this category.

Please going forward keep in mind that feature requests should be about problems instead of very specific solutions, as the latter makes it very hard to respond for us since your specific idea is not likely to be aligned with how we see things on our end. If you focus on the problem instead the discussion can be more open and we can talk about different solutions for your problem.

1 Like