PBR Classic Clothing

PBR Clothing

Hello!

I recently hopped onto GTA Online, and noticed that my character, when wearing a belt, reflects light, something like PBR.

This got me thinking, it would be really awesome if we had PBR clothing of some sort, and I’m talking about non-layered clothing, I’m talking about “classic” clothing. Tons of users still use classic clothing, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon, so I think it would be an even further improvement to Roblox.

It also makes sense, because we just got PBR materials! PBR classic clothing would be amazing.

I’m not sure if it’s too complicated, but please consider this.
Thank you!

5 Likes

Classic clothing is called classic for a reason. There’s no reason for anyone to prioritize developing new classic clothing features when layered clothing exists, which is replacing it.

Classic clothing can’t go tho, it’s needed to actually make layered clothing look good. The layered clothing doesn’t wrap nicely and some modern packages r made with classic clothes in mind so i don’t see why it wouldn’t use PBR.

1 Like

This will never be a feature due to the fact it could quadruple the image assets used by characters in most Roblox games.
Humanoids are already very hard on performance, so factoring that in as well, it really wouldn’t be good.

It would also concern the upload of multiple images for one asset, something that isn’t natively supported currently on the website. So not only would this need to somehow be put together in-engine, the website and internal APIs would need to be adjusted as well. All this for classic clothing, which for all intents and purposes is just deprecated by Roblox in favour of layered clothing, it’s just not going to happen.

This is assuming it was for widespread use as catalog items and whatnot, which your post gave off. If for development purposes then you can, in theory, achieve this right now.

Assuming your game only had a set physical body type (blocky, 2.0 etc.) you’ve got two choices.

1. You could export all the body parts, adjust the UV mapping to actually match the shirt/pants template, then reimport and rebuild the rig.
  2. You could use existing body part meshes, but all clothing image assets would need to be converted to the internal UV mapping that Roblox uses for humanoid body parts (it’s different for some reason).

No matter what option you go for, though, they will only work with R15 due to MeshParts being used.

If for development purposes, I’d recommend just having smaller 3d details that get welded to the character, like a belt buckle, and have PBR present on those.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between classic clothing and layered clothing. It’s literally in the name lol.

Classic is 2D, layered is 3D.

Yeah, there would definitely be some challenges with implementing something like this, but I’m sure there’s some way to do it, without trashing performance.

And hey, I never said this is a must have feature, just something that would be really cool :grin:

1 Like

You kind of ignored the entirety of my reply and assumed I didn’t know the difference between classic and layered clothing.

This will never be natively supported by Roblox. As mentioned, classic clothing is not going to be receiving any updates. It’s been superseded by layered clothing (in the eyes of Roblox, at least), so that’s where their attention is. It’s not feasible to support this as a UGC thing, but for development it’s possible.

For catalog purposes it’s impossible to support on the web side of things currently in terms of uploading 4 images for 1 asset, and in-game the functionality could break games that utilise changing Shirt and Pants textures. They’d suddenly need to change 3 other properties to support it properly.

For development purposes this is already possible. Simple program to convert regular shirt templates to the character UV and you’re golden. SurfaceAppearance on all the body parts, job done.

Feature requests aren’t for stuff you want because they’re “super cool” or for fun. they’re meant to highlight important features that developers need to tackle problems or create things that they couldn’t otherwise. The wider the use-case(s), the better. When requests like these are made it just clutters up the section and pushes attention away from stuff which is much more useful to developers.

Please put some more thought into future feature requests that you make. In this case what you wanted was already possible, so make sure to check out the other sections dedicated to help and support with making things, or the Resources section where somebody might’ve even already made it.

5 Likes