DevForum Following is now live!

:wink:

5 Likes

It shall be done, M’Lord.

Jokes aside, definitely a feature that was needed. But I have to express a sad yee haw over the lack of silent following.

5 Likes

I have a good question on this feature, is there any way you can see the amount of followers you have?

2 Likes

Awesome! Now people can flex with their followers including me :wink:

2 Likes

i was just testing the new feature :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well, not really they made sure it does not count your followers.

4 Likes

Great feature, Really like to see when y’all bring out new Updates and Features. Good Job! :clap: :joy:

1 Like

There are already other features for this. You can watch a category, and you can add watched tags in your forum preferences. This feature is specifically for following on a user level (not on a category or tag level).

You could submit it as a bug report if you want: https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-follow/issues

Can you clarify? If you have a user muted and you also follow them, I think you will still get notifications. This plugin only affects posts and not likes or other actions.

You can add a feature request to also have following apply to groups: https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-follow/issues

4 Likes

Sorry, we’re not doing this, see:

6 Likes

That’s not a good idea because, people are going to be toxic and dev forums won’t be a nice place.

3 Likes

Sorry for the unclear meaning. I was refering to topic notification levels.

1 Like

If you are already watching a topic and someone you follow posts in it, then you won’t be doubly notified of a post. It will only notify you if you didn’t already get a notification from watching the category / the topic AFAIK.

2 Likes

Good update! I don’t think I’ll use this much, because there are no particular people that I like to see posts from, apart from Dev Relations posts which are posted in the HD discord, however I think this is an essential update for some people, as if they need to be notified, or would like to be on something big. (e.g a project), this will come in handy. Another good update from DevRel. :+1:

1 Like

Perfect update you got there guys! Now I can see the latest news from developers quickly.

Also, you could add a feature where it shows how many followers you got. (Just for the flex)

Other than that, I will give coefficients a follow for announcing this!

2 Likes

I actually have some questions concerning this wonderful new feature that seems to be really helpful.

Are we gonna get notified once someone followed us ? And are we gonna be able to know who exactly has followed us ? Without having to know the amount of people since @buildthomas specified that this feature is gonna be disabled for some privacy reasons.

1 Like

No, the plugin does support this but we disable it here.

You can only see who you are following. You can’t see follower/following lists of other users nor your own followers (since you could infer follower count from this otherwise).

2 Likes

So is there some hope that these features could get added later, or is it gonna be permanently disabled ?
Just a curious question from me here >.<

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate all the work you and your team put into making this community.

8 Likes

Likely won’t be enabled in the future either for reasons already stated above. We’re not really interested in making it a popularity contest who has the most followers etc. It’s just a useful feature to more easily find content that you find interesting (by following people that make posts that you like).

6 Likes

Is there a way to get a weekly summary of “you had X followers follow you this week!” not specifically “buildthomas and Shedletsky followed you this week” more of a X count of how many people followed you this week/month/unit.

If both parties mutually follow each other, would it then be possible to see that there is a mutual follow from both parties?

3 Likes