DevForum Following is now live!

Hey developers,

We’re excited to announce a new feature on the Developer Forum: you can now follow other developers!

What does following do?

Following another developer ensures you get notified whenever that person makes a new topic or post.

On the home page, whenever somebody you’re following has made a new post or topic, you’ll also see a “Following” tab that only shows topic that developers you’re following have either created or replied to.

How do I follow other developers?

You can follow somebody on their DevForum profile or their usercard in replies:

Usercard

just saying, you should hit that button for your pal coefficients

You can see the entire list of developers you’re following on your profile under the Network tab:

Known issues and limitations:

• Muted topics still show up in the Following tab on the home page. Ideally, they should not be visible there. This is something we’ll look into.
  • You can only do “all or nothing” when following another developer; there are no granular options yet. In the future, we might add options such as: only following new topics from a user (not replies), silently following (not getting notifications but still having the topics show up on the Following tab on the home page), etc.

Go follow the developers whose posts you don’t want to miss! Let us know what you think about this feature.

Thanks,
Developer Relations

179 Likes

I know who my first test person is going to be.

51 Likes

Wow this makes stalking my friends much easier. Thanks!

49 Likes

Coefficients 4 life boi. im following you first.

9 Likes

thanks for this cool update. i hope it is very useful

7 Likes

!

Followed :sunglasses:

6 Likes

https://streamable.com/tsc78

I like this feature already.

6 Likes

Will it display the amount of users following someone? I think this could create some sort of presence for people when it comes to advertising/pushing their portfolios or work. Great Update!

10 Likes

is there a limit to this? can I follow every devforum account for maximum :coffee: efficiency?

7 Likes

This is great not going to lie because I want to see the people I like the most and follow them :3

4 Likes

You have been followed, dear lord. I will be sure to keep a close eye on your posts in future.

Truly an amazing update, I’m now able to keep up with users who I wouldn’t have been bothered to before.

6 Likes

No, buildthomas stayed this will lot be shown as it could cause competition

5 Likes

The plugin supports viewing followers/following/statistics of others, but we have it disabled because we don’t want to create a competitive environment around follower counts, and also for privacy reasons.

20 Likes

I think it’s a nice feature, now i can know when someone like a musician doing commision posted! There could be a feature to select what kind of stuff will be notified, such as threads from Discussion, or Updates. And it could be nice to select what category you can select.

DevNetCheese, if you are reading this, im following you lol

4 Likes

Aside from some awkward scaling on mobile (follow button is larger than the message button), this is a pretty cool feature.

6 Likes

Did not consider the possibility of competition, I guess it’s for the best then!

3 Likes

Quick question: Do we get notified about people we’re following on the ‘Normal’ or ‘Muted’ notification levels? Does it bypass regular notification settings (e.g. only notify for likes if from a following)

Additional feature request: Can we get a way to follow all staff maybe?

7 Likes

I’ve already been using this feature before this announcement, and it’s pretty helpful when cool people (including Coefficients) make a post.

Is there any maximum amount of people you can follow?

6 Likes

Wow what an amazing update to have, actually kind of smart to have, that way you know which developers you can really rely on if they helped you the most. It will also be good to note that you shouldn’t ask people to follow you. I need to test this, let me go try it out.

(Edit) obviously followed you @coefficients

5 Likes

If you don’t follow me you have broken the circle of trust :triumph:

2 Likes