Dialogue Maker [Beta]

i’ll fix this problem today. thanks for reporting!

1 Like

v3.3.2

bug fixes

code review

1 Like

Hello ^^, I’m using your plugin and I encountered an issue, the text on pc is perfectly fitting, but not on mobile (a lot of words are missing) How to fix this?

1 Like

hi! i got a similar report on twitter. i can reproduce the issue, and i’m figuring out a way to make the text size depend on the device.

in the meantime, if any programmers or ui designers see this, i’d love some help. UITextSizeConstraint isn’t doing much, so i anticipate that i have to program it based on the absolute size of the dialogue box.

Nevermind I fixed it! TextScaled wasn’t enable :smiley:

1 Like

v3.3.3

code review

how do i make a script run after a dialouge

Open the plugin, then press the circle under the Aa (action after) label. You’ll be able to edit a script that runs after the dialogue.

20221031_134030

2 Likes

Sorry to bug you about this, but is there a way to make the player’s text somehow fit into these little boxes down below?

Capture

It’s honestly a problem that’s quite common in a lot of these NPC dialog systems, including the official one that Roblox a while back.

Because I honestly want people to actually see what responses they’re sending without most of it being cut off onscreen, so any solution to this is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Set TextWrapped on the boxes/buttons to true.

2 Likes

Oh nice, that’s pretty helpful.

So uh, where exactly can I find it? It doesn’t seem to be in the settings since I’m looking in there at the moment.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be in the settings, it would be in the actual textbox’ properties. I’m not sure how to get to it, you might have to edit the code.

2 Likes

To wrap button text, select the ResponseTemplate by going to StarterPlayer > StarterPlayerScripts > DialogueClientScript > Themes > BigAndBoldDialogue > DialogueContainer > ResponseContainer > ResponseTemplate in the Explorer, then make sure the TextWrapped checkbox in the Properties menu is enabled.

1 Like

v3.3.4

documentation review

1 Like

Roblox won’t let me make a new reply to this thread until someone else replies to it, so I’ll update you all on what I change through this post.

Last updated: May 10, 2023

Dialogue Maker v3.3.5 release notes

Bug fixes

Code review

• Dialogue Maker now uses MaxVisibleGraphemes.
  • Replaced all references of wait(n) in the DialogueClientScript with task.wait(n).

Default UI updates

• Added UITextSizeConstraint with a MaxTextSize of 14 to the ResponseTemplate.
Dialogue Maker v3.4.0 release notes

New features

Dialogue Maker v4.0.0 release notes

:sparkles: New features

:pause_button: Wait tags

You can now pause mid-message by using “[/wait time=any number]”, where “any number” is…well, any number! For example, “Hello, [/wait time=0.5]Christian!” waits 0.5 seconds before saying “Christian”.

Sponsored by extravent3. [commit]

:framed_picture: Conditional themes [BREAKING CHANGE]

I’m personally not a fan of using Scale everywhere because it can overstretch themes and not follow my intended design. So, I added a couple of server settings to change the default theme based on the minimum viewport width and minimum viewport height. I was inspired by “@media screen” in CSS.

Here’s an example where Dialogue Maker defaults to BareBonesDialogue, but shifts the default to BigAndBoldDialogue when the client’s viewport width is at least 320 pixels:

DefaultTheme = {
  {
    MinimumViewportWidth = 0,
    MinimumViewportHeight = 0,
    ThemeName = "BareBonesDialogue"
  },
  {
    MinimumViewportWidth = 320,
    ThemeName = "BigAndBoldDialogue"
  }
};

Sponsored by extravent3. [commit]

:hammer: Bug fixes

:broom: Code review

:arrow_up: Migrating to v4.0.0

Fix scripts

You need to press the “Fix Scripts” button after updating the plugin. This will replace the internal scripts with the new versions.

Rename “GetDefaultTheme” to “GetDefaultThemes”

Look in the “DialogueMakerRemoteConnections” folder in ReplicatedStorage for “GetDefaultTheme”. Rename it to “GetDefaultThemes”.

Update NPC settings

Copy your NPC settings into a notepad, delete the NPC settings script, reopen the NPC settings, then update the necessary settings.

Update server settings

Replace your “DefaultTheme” server setting value with:

DefaultTheme = {
  {
    MinimumViewportWidth = 0,
    ThemeName = "BigAndBoldDialogue"
  }
};

Change the theme name as necessary.

3 Likes

I am posting so you can continue post as new post.
Great Plugin btw.

1 Like

Dialogue Maker v4.0.1

:hammer: Bug fixes

• In the plugin GUI, redirect priorities now show in TextBox on click.
    [pull request]

• Wait tags no longer break when there’s more than one in a message.
    [pull request]

1 Like

Hi everyone,

v5.0.0 is just around the corner, jampacked with some cool new features, bug fixes, and accessiblity improvements.

For example, message types can now be changed with a dropdown menu!

I’m particularly excited about the text effects. I might end up using Defaultio’s module, so you’ll be able to do something like this:

This will be a major update, so I need some testers who’ll give me feedback to make sure the plugin still works well for them.

If you’re down to me notifying you when v5.0.0 is ready for testing, please send me a DM. You will be acknowledged in the GitHub README page if you provide feedback.

1 Like

cool, might use it for a project im working on

1 Like

Seems like a really useful Plugin to try out, so thanks for sharing this!

2 Likes