Different stretched image interpolation method

Don’t you just hate it when you want to upload a 16x16 texture, but have to upscale it to high resolution in an image editor to make it seem more pixely? So what I’m suggesting here is a different method to interpolate stretched pixels in images. This would be a property in ImageLabels and Decals and everything that uses an image, either Enum for different types of interpolation or Boolean to switch between on and off.

Example 1: If you’re facing a 128x128 decal on a brick right next to it, the pixels get blurred. Instead, with the nearest neighbor method, you could have pixelated images with low resolution.

Example 2: If you put a 16x16 texture on an ImageLabel and scale the label up to 256x256, the pixels get blurred. With this new method, it wouldn’t get blurred and instead, just stretch the pixels with the nearest neighbor method.

EDIT: Image comparison for clearance

44 Likes

+Support!

This is definitely a feature I want.

1 Like

I agree. There needs to be an option not to upscale images when you upload them.

1 Like

Well, that too maybe, but that’s not the problem here. The problem here is that low resolution images are blurred instead of pixelated in image objects.

1 Like

Well, that too maybe, but that’s not the problem here. The problem here is that low resolution images are blurred instead of pixelated in image objects.[/quote]

It’s part of the problem. The reason why the image gets blurry is because it gets up-scaled. I think a button that you can tick would be a lot better in the long run. Some people may actually need the scaling.

Well, that too maybe, but that’s not the problem here. The problem here is that low resolution images are blurred instead of pixelated in image objects.[/quote]

It’s part of the problem. The reason why the image gets blurry is because it gets up-scaled. I think a button that you can tick would be a lot better in the long run. Some people may actually need the scaling.[/quote]

The problem is the renderer uses a draw method for images that interpolates the pixels making them blurry, which doesn’t have anything to do with uploading the textures.

It’s part of the problem. The reason why the image gets blurry is because it gets up-scaled. I think a button that you can tick would be a lot better in the long run. Some people may actually need the scaling.[/quote]

The problem is the renderer uses a draw method for images that interpolates the pixels making them blurry, which doesn’t have anything to do with uploading the textures.[/quote]

Oh okay, I was mistaken then. A button not to upscale images would be a great addition either way :stuck_out_tongue:

Uploaded images are no longer upscaled. Though upscaled versions of the image will still be generated for displaying on the website, the actual asset still has the original dimensions.

YES. SUPPORT.

Implement bump and specularity maps while you’re at it please :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like this has been a suggestion for a very long time and we never really got any official response as to if it’s even possible with roblox current engine!

Some feedback such as if ROBLOX has considered and/or rejected it or if they are working on it etc. would be very appreciated.

7 Likes

Its has been 6 years and we still don’t have this. Imagine having the option to pixelate a low res image instead of blurring it. Decals have been the same for years and they haven’t received many big updates except for Decal.Color3.

Other than that, they have received no love in the past.

This feature can come in real handy for 8-bit like games with low resolution textures as well.

Even if its a togglable bool property for decals.

5 Likes

Agreed. Could we at least get some sort of response on this? I have had many, many cases where I would have to upload 3 or more of the same image just to make sure it looks pretty on different screen sizes. Then if I end up wanting to resize that “button” or whatever? Gotta reupload. It’s a very painstaking, time consuming process.

3 Likes

Is there a solution or workaround for that today?
appreciate any info, thank you!

We need this. I shall bump. :heart: :smile: