Disable tool unequipping via the backspace key if the backpack is disabled

When StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Backpack, false) is set, the backpack is disabled, which means that basically, the user loses control of the backpack and hotbar, that also means that the user can no longer (manually) equip tools.

However, even if the backpack is disabled, the user still has the ability to drop their tools (By pressing backspace).

As an example, in my game, once a player gets to a certain level, they get equipped with a sword automatically, and once the level ends, the sword is removed, however, if a player unequips the sword, they get softlocked, until they reset (which is disabled in my game).

I know that i could just equip the player with the tool again if they unequip it, but that couldn’t work in certain tools, and would look ugly or i could just create my own tool interpreter, but that would be time-consuming and most devs won’t know how to do that (including me).

Looking at the corescript, the comment in the line 1042 even acknowledges that the disabled backpack can still hear to the backspace key, which in turn, creates this counter-intuitive behaviour.

(Another solution can be to have a bool in all tools called CanBeManuallyUnequipped which controls if the tool can be even unequipped or not)

24 Likes

Ran into this issue myself recently. Hopefully this is the main thread for it!

To my knowledge this is still not possible, even with the “CanBeDropped” boolean unselected and the backpack disabled.

5 Likes

This is really frustrating behaviour. This has been happening in one of my live games for months, causing what seemed to be subtle and hard-to-reproduce issues, because I had completely forgotten that this was a thing. And now the only way to properly fix it is to make my own custom system, which is just more work for me. Please resolve this.

8 Likes

Bumping this because I’m using a custom inventory system with Roblox tools and did not realize backspace-unequip was hardcoded. Please allow us to toggle this. Having to code my own tool system just to prevent this behaviour is overkill.

10 Likes

Overkill is the perfect word for it. I’ve just been pretending like it doesn’t exist and who even presses backspace anyway lol. I would really like it if this didn’t happen.

3 Likes

Bumping this as well as it’s so inconvenient as there’s no easy way to get around this issue. At least add the functionality of backspace getting overridden by context action service as both key presses are registered when using it.

1 Like

Why Roblox ignores this request? I mean this is really a big problem, we cant do anything to disable the keybind because the backpack is handled in a corescript, why is it a corescript and not a localscript like camera handler? We must have total control of user backpack.

1 Like