[Auto Migration enabled] New system for storing Physics Geometry for Part Operations and Mesh Parts released!

A performance update is a happy update. Best of luck for the fixes, I’m looking forward to this!

1 Like

Ah, great fix for the people who were affected.

1 Like

Does this have any affect on memory usage?

1 Like

Glad they fixed this very happy for this.

1 Like

Testing a fix on this. I’m also adding better switching so that If an issue is found again, users don’t have to worry about manually re-generating collision data.

Will post re-enable ETA later today. (I guess this is kind of an ETA for an ETA. Like the games industry announcement of an announcement?)

5 Likes

Something not being “supported” doesn’t say much on whether you can or can’t do it.

Edit: Since my last post got flagged ill just stick it here.

tl;dr if my post was: Promoting exclusively long term solutions and not discussing short-term solutions is awful. We can’t wait 2 years just for functionality to be added in Studio. Let the developer decide if they should be or not be messing with it. Everybody is prepared for short-term solutions to need adaptation with updates.

1 Like

You should not be messing with custom file formats because they capable of changing without any announcement or warning.

If anyone needs to inspect the contents of an .rbxmx for any reason, this implies that either there is some functionality missing in Roblox Studio, or they are doing something they absolutely should not be.

1 Like

@devpalms @SoFlyyDinero
My update is strictly for collision data for these objects. It has nothing to do with rendering fidelity. You may wish to start a separate thread, because an LOD system for MeshParts and CSGs was recently released.

1 Like

so it is LOD based I assumed that at first but I wasn’t sure, thank you for clearing that up

If you tag me in the separate thread, I can get the people who work on rendering LOD to take a look at it.

Fix in pipeline. Will re-enable everything 5/23.

I do crash too, everytime I try to import a FBX file, it’s really annoying…
Did anyone find a fix for this?

I still crash when I try to import meshes, what do I do?

Places seem to take a lot longer to load as well, this is just a baseplate…

Do you have an FBX you are willing to PM me that I can take a look at?

@Khanovich this is affecting meshes in our game that were uploaded forever ago. It seems to be affecting our existing meshes at random.

1 Like

In what way? Were these levels opened in Studio during the time window?

the mesh on the right (selected) is not showing its mesh geometry. Even though it is set to “Default” collision fidelity

the mesh on the left had the same issue until it was switched to Box and then back to Default

it is now showing its mesh geometry and functioning properly

https://gyazo.com/ec9ced574d114e49a8a7be4d4cf27817

lots of meshes are affected that were uploaded forever ago

https://gyazo.com/a700e78bca3e08f82428afb083efa7b6

the place ID for our internal place is 2061558182. Using the show mesh geometry feature of studio you can quickly see which meshes are broken by those that are being rendered normally instead of showing their mesh geometry

Most of the meshes that are affected by this were completely untouched during the window you specified. As this is our internal place, we are almost constantly working in it.

1 Like

PMing you instead. I think this is related in the sense that the old pipeline caused this, but I don’t think this is due to the 3 hour window that the feature was on.

Unsure if this is related but recently uploading meshparts has been yielding unusable collisions. I cross referenced an asset that had old collision data (left) and new collision data (right) to see the difference, while they were previously not perfect, they were usable, but now it forms giant masses of geometry, and arbitrary holes too (pictured in rock images). I am not doing anything hacky as far as I know, I would love some help since currently I cannot upload usable assets, especially for terrain.

6 Likes

Same for me, starting from May 11 all of my new meshes have broken collisions

1 Like