[Disabled, See Update] New Experiences Have Team Create Enabled

This is a worrying trend that I’ve noticed over the past few years.

Notice how there hasn’t been a roadmap for 2022 (iirc) or 2023, no WAYCWO thread this year, developer events being canned in favour of “sponsored experiences”, and poor internal communication overall.

My experience with the DevRel team has been nothing but very positive, but I feel the issue is deeper than them. DevRel can only do so much when the problems with the platform and communication lay deeper in the company on all other levels

27 Likes

I know you all have your reasons why you dislike team create, but am I the only person that likes it? The auto save comes in clutch for me.

4 Likes

This change makes it so pressing Ctrl + N uploads a place and turns on Team Create for an empty baseplate. A lot of developers, myself included, use empty baseplates to prototype things quickly without it affecting the rest of their game code, making this a problematic update for us.

12 Likes

This is such a horrible change. Two people who work under me are from Ukraine. Their internet is incredibly spotty due to the war and this change is essentially screwing them even further as Roblox is their primary income source.

I beg, please reconsider this change…

24 Likes

But I thought it only turns on when the team create switch is on? If not, then that sucks, but you can’t also just press Open with Roblox, and then make a baseplate from there?

1 Like

This sucks, Who needs team create when you can make a group for 100 robux and create a team there?

2 Likes

While I recognise the platform (and the tech sector more broadly :roll_eyes:) are moving more towards a cloud :tm: and always on :tm: approach, it’s important to remember that:

• This approach is not welcomed by a large part of the community, especially the power users and large teams that drive the platform

• This approach has poor accessibility, especially in developing countries, where internet connections may be metered, slow, or limited

• This approach heavily couples Studio to Roblox servers, making developing on Roblox more fragile. This is especially concerning when many individuals and teams rely on the platform for their income.

While features like team create are great, incredibly helpful (especially for level/map development), and ought to be first-class citizens on the platform, it’s both practical, logical, and also expected by the community for offline environments to continue to work perfectly.

For many people, a more offline environment is a business or operational requirement. For many people, a more offline environment is a personal preference for privacy or network charge reasons. For many people, a more offline environment is a must to be able to use the platform at all.

It seems like this strategy, presumably set out in a board room disconnected from Roblox’s values, history, or community, is anti to the platform’s own objectives of empowering creators all over the world.

35 Likes

If I want Team Create, I will turn it on myself. There is no need for Studio to do it for me.

34 Likes

This also happens when animating with skinned accessories

2 Likes

Give me 100 robux for s group then, lol

2 Likes

I put something from the toolbox from another game to see how its meshes were optimized and got automatically banned. (The game was private and my account was banned mid studio session because of the place I was working on.)

I wish team create had more transparency about these kinds of things. It’s a pain to have a place randomly deleted and my account banned for a few days. I don’t put anything on team create anymore for this reason.

I certainly want team create to be very optional. I don’t see why the toggle should be hidden behind settings.

I agree that team create has a lot of potential. The way Roblox is set up lends it uniquely well for cloud-based co-creation compared to basically every other game engine. Right now though I don’t feel like I can trust it with my work. Files on my computer don’t randomly delete themselves and blow up in my face like cloud ones can.

13 Likes

Team create is so multiple people can work on the same place at the same time.

Group games without team create can have multiple people work on them but not at the same time.

2 Likes

Please don’t do this, at least make an option to toggle creations with team create on by default but please no, don’t force us to use team create or either people is not gonna develop on Roblox anymore because I know a lot of people don’t like this update please no

5 Likes

The experience of working with Studio is a nightmare when you have a spotty wifi connection, are on the move (train, plane), or otherwise cannot guarantee an always-on internet connection. For the work I’m doing (i.e. writing code), I don’t need the internet 95% of the time.

I appreciate the concern but I’m perfectly capable of storing my own files and versioning them on my harddrive. And to make matters worse, Roblox platform uptime has been consistently worse than my ISP internet service uptime, so spotty internet is not the main issue.

Not even a small portion of the top-1000 developers on the platform is looking forward to always-online changes. They actively hinder our experience working in Studio. Every large development group is working with local files, git/rojo, or otherwise dependent on sharing files and communicating off-platform. These updates are actively going against the platform we’re building as a community.

48 Likes

I totally agree, there’s no sense behind this, what about solo developers? Every time they will have to turn team create off and if they forget they will encounter a lot of problems, by the way, talking by experience

3 Likes

Team Create only uses the creator’s friends, while group games allows anyone to develop

1 Like

It’s honestly sad to see how little Roblox cares about Developer feedback.

Posts on this specific feature have always been met with pushback each time this has been announced.

I’m sorry for the Developer working on this specific feature. I bet it hurts when you see so much pushback and negativity toward something you were forced to create/implement. Your work is still great, but the higher-ups need to start being even slightly receptive to this topic.

22 Likes

Finally, I don’t need to enable team create anymore. This’ll improve my productivity greatly, because about 1 in 50 studio files I open I use teamcreate. So things will go much smoother for that one file. Big step forward!

13 Likes

Sometimes I would love that Roblox could launch offline.

It could be saving all the content that needs loading (meshes, audio, textures, etc) in a folder used as a package folder, like the adobe Indesign package function. You could add more meshes, audio, textures, etc, and once you go online and update the package to a live place, it would publish everything automatically :roll_eyes:

So remote work from odd places with no internet may be possible !

Can we have a toggle on/off button from the settings so we don’t have to manually do it everytime ?

15 Likes

This update seems pretty pointless and it would be better if you had to turn on team create instead of turning it off but at least the option to turn it off is there

4 Likes