Disabling CharacterAutoLoads breaks the StarterGui

If CharacterAutoLoads is set to false, the contents of the StarterGui are not cloned into players’ PlayerGui. It looks like the client does not clone it in until LoadCharacter is called on the player and their character is loaded. I’m on Windows 7 with the latest version of studio and the client (it happens on both).

Expected behavior: Contents from the StarterGui should be cloned into the PlayerGui as soon as the loading screen disappears, regardless of whether there’s a character or not because not all games rely on characters in the same way the ROBLOX does.

Repro file (right click > save link as):

It’s just an empty baseplate with CharacterAutoLoads set to false and a ScreenGui+Frame in the StarterGui.

There’s a similar thread about this, but according to him all GUIs are gone when he disables CharacterAutoLoads, so I’m not sure if it’s a different bug and I decided to post a separate thread.

11 Likes

You may have misunderstood, my CoreGUI’s work but ScreenGui’s don’t. Thanks for posting this though, you went a bit more in depth :slight_smile:

Is this new, or is this a part of the replicatedfirst not working with characterautoloads false?

If I put stuff in ReplicatedFirst with CharacterAutoLoads set to false, the local scripts in ReplicatedFirst run, so I guess it’s a separate issue – the ReplicatedFirst stuff looks like it’s fixed.

If I put stuff in ReplicatedFirst with CharacterAutoLoads set to false, the local scripts in ReplicatedFirst run, so I guess it’s a separate issue – the ReplicatedFirst stuff looks like it’s fixed.[/quote]

Nope. The ReplicatedFirst issue was with play tests only, and it’s still there (although it’s being fixed).

Edit: What the heck? This shouldn’t be the behaviour at all! How does that make any sense? Here’s a quote from the wiki:

When a player spawns, the contents of the StarterGui are copied into the Player’s PlayerGui. Objects can also be parented under the PlayerGui directly. Once a Player dies, the PlayerGui is removed unless the ResetPlayerGuiOnSpawn property (of StarterGui) is set to false, in which case it isn’t.

Key things being when a player spawns and Once a Player dies

Oh, I was testing it in online mode. ReplicatedFirst is supposed to work in play solo?

ReplicatedFirst is supposed to run regardless, before your character or anything else is loaded, yes

Ok so there’s a ReplicatedFirst bug and the StarterGui bug or just the StarterGui bug?

Two different issues

I also addressed this issue long ago. http://developer.roblox.com/forum/client-features/16946-don-t-make-startergui-dependent-on-player-s-character :frowning:

1 Like

I’m still confused why some people said they weren’t experiencing this bug, while most others were.

I probably wasn’t the only one who gathered that all GUIs were broken instead of just the StarterGui not cloning into the PlayerGui from your post. When people saw the CoreGui with CharacterAutoLoads = false, they may have dismissed it since the CoreGui was working.

Just so you guys are aware, I’m working on this bug.

Thank god, I had to halt work on my game because of this bug. Thank you!

2018 and this is still an issue.

4 Likes

Yep. You can still do a manual clone but shouldn’t be necessary.

3 Likes

Jan 2019, this is still an issue.

5 Likes

Currently fixed this problem by having a script copy the Guis over to PlayerGui.
A fix would still be appreciated, so we don’t have to rely on dodgy scripts.

4 Likes

Sorry, can we revive this? This bug just occurred to me.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that if a ScreenGui has its ResetOnSpawn property set to false, it should automatically clone (because it doesn’t have anything to do with the character?)

1 Like