Docking Updates [Full Release]

I’d prefer if the docking was optional, really annoying for me to have as someone that likes to constantly shift around floating windows it looks really ugly and gets kinda annoying seeing the empty dock windows pop flash

2 Likes

Update 6/3/2024:

After several weeks of observing the docking corruption instances go to effectively zero, we have turned off the corruption detection and automatic layout reset.

Please let us know if you observe any docking corruption — this is usually indicated by the Viewport or other panels rendering completely outside their appropriate container.

3 Likes

Has the playtest layout ever been saved? As long as I can remember it has been reset to default every launch.

2 Likes

I do remember at some point with the old docking system, your layouts being remembered uniquely for server+client tests. Now I need to close about 10 windows just to do a multiplayer test in studio.

I think this is a feature we lost with the new update.

I think you’re right. We’ve been stretched tight on available engineers given some higher priority projects but I do have a short list of updates I’d like to make. I’ll make sure we put some time into checking what happened with Server/Client layouts.

2 Likes

One of our devs just mentioned that if you go into Studio Settings > Studio > Test and turn “Load All Built-in Plugins in Test Mode” that may bring back the test mode layouts. They introduced this setting to decrease Play Solo start times.

We have a fix planned so you don’t need to do this but this may get you by until then.

Really looking forward to this fix. Here are my observations after two months of using the new docking:

Unfortunately, I hardly ever use the Script Analysis window anymore. For my workflow, which requires a tall Properties window and wide Output window (pics above), the new choices for docking Script Analysis either consume too much height or too much width, so the window inevitably ends up hidden.

This has caused bugs and lost time, because there is a real value in convenience – this is not mere personal preference but rather, a certain degree of flexibility is essential in professional tools. Just hoping to get back the level we had before as soon as busy timelines permit!

Thanks again for the updates, and for all your hard work :smiley:

Edit: This was in reply to Docking Updates [Full Release] - #313 by MeshOfPaul

1 Like

I think there’s a bug with this new system studio won’t load game sometimes just after s few times restarting before you said it’s my PC it can’t cuz it always loaded but I think it’s something with loading the docks since all docks are blank only the output shows content

This sounds like it’s related to the changes made to improve play testing performance. Try turning these settings back on:

We know there’s some funkiness with those plugin optimizations and we plan to make it work with them on or off.

I appreciate the notes and patience. Just to be clear are you talking about the ability to do this?

My request to the dev team is to make this the new layout scheme which I think will get you there:

4 Likes

i agree,

i hated when explorer, properties & output closes themselves

toolbox constantly expands itself & terrain editor keeps on opening

when will the fix be released?

Have you tried changing these settings? Does it change or improve the behavior?

Our engineers have been spread thin working on higher priority stuff so I don’t have an ETA but we do have a backlog of improvements and fixes we want to make sooner than later.

1 Like

This did fix my layout being messed up between sessions. Thanks for making this solution visible!

2 Likes

Hey Paul,

Thank you for your continued efforts on this issue.

Can you clarify what steps we should take today to get consistent layouts in test mode (where I spawn a new server and add players)? I am unable to get a consistent layout, and it is a killer in my DX.

I have tried a combination of having the “Load all Built-In plugins in Test Mode” and “Load User Plugins in Test mode” both enabled and both disabled, restarting studio by spawning a new test server and making my changes (then hitting “cleanup”, and closing studio), and just repeating my changes many times. No matter what I do, studio seems to reset my layout every time I create a new test server.

Is there plans for an option alike making studio copy my normal layout over to Test Mode instances of studio (both the server and player views)?
Today, when I start a new Test Server, it takes me a minute or two to change the layout of Test Mode instances to the same layout that I have when I edit in studio. I want the layout to remain the same – just as it does when I close one game and open another.

even with both enabled, it just resets every time

Yes the intended behavior is we save your layouts per mode. Unfortunately we’ve just not the had the time or people to get back on this since we came out of Beta. But it’s something I’m tracking and we’ll get someone looking back into it soon (I hope!)

1 Like

it’s good, but this is how is supposed to actually look like.

1 Like

We have not updated to add those “Southwest” and “Southeast” regions yet. This is what I’ve asked for because I believe it will solve the most common issues we’ve heard about with the new layout schemes.

i know, but adding those would benefit developers who have their layouts like that

i hope Northwest and Northeast main window docking region & the left region for floating windows gets added in the future!

in total, there will be 13 docking regions to choose from in this concept, 4 more than what we have now at least in the main window.

on the floating window, there will be a new left region. It still exists, but attempting to dock to it crashes Studio

1 Like

to this day, the fix for the constantly resetting layouts on launch is not released.

when will it come out?? I’M TIRED OF HAVING TO CONSTANTLY RECONFIGURE EVERYTHING TO MY LIKING!!

edit 8/16/2024: it now just gets worse as it now resets every time i open a new session.

i hope it does not keep getting any worser and worser and worser as time passes.

1 Like