Docking Updates [Full Release]

I love these panels, so I definitely would love to see them come back. I am able to have things like the Toolbox, Asset Manager, and Rojo on the side and easily access them without them taking up a lot of screenspace. This also makes it possible to have plugin GUIs with quick actions in them without needing to have the full window visible at all times.

2 Likes

You can horizontal split North and South regions but yes your example is not possible with the current rules. Weā€™ll take a look at the option to split West/East horizontal + vertical.

1 Like

No problem! Also in case it is useful, I was able to capture a screenshot of the error message as shown below:

For some context, I had exported an animation and then closed the animation editor. I then reopened it to update the animation and then this error occurred. I had also previously reopened the animation editor without exporting and the error did not occur so the issue may not be related to that. However, I am unsure as when I had previously reopened it without it crashing, I did not reload an animation and I had not previously exported an animation to roblox.

If it is relevant, the animation was also R15. I also animated a skinmesh character yesterday and did not experience the same issue; however, I am unable to recall if I reopened the animation editor.

1 Like

Okay, but seriously, thank you for removing this! I can actually set up my Studio windows the way I want them set up, and itā€™s a massive boon on lower resolution displays where space is at a premium. Please do not enforce any more minimum window sizes! (Unless itā€™s a small number explicitly to protect us from ourselves. I can understand that.)

2 Likes

Here is my layout as it should be:

Here is my layout each time I open studio. The windows drift off up and to the left more and more each time. The chat window hides and resets to itā€™s default position so it has to first be re-enabled and undocked before resizing it.

The black bars on the sides are because all of the monitors are different sizes.

1 Like

I try to make my plugins as compact as they can be, it just doesnā€™t work out sometimes. Of course itā€™s all the userā€™s fault if the widget gets too tiny, I couldnā€™t prepare the UI to be so small, theyā€™ll have to just deal with it. That honestly mostly happens because if you can limit the minimal size, offset position becomes really really helpful with building it up.

1 Like

Yeah it would be crazy to expect a UI that works well within extreme dimensions. Thatā€™s all totally understandable. We also acknowledge we could provide things to make it easier to build more responsive UIs. Weā€™ll figure it out together :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I accidentally came across a very minor issue when dragging windows from a 1440p monitor to an 1080p one (it might happen on two 1080p monitors not sure), from a docked state. The location of the mouse changes significantly so Iā€™m dragging an undocked window when my mouse isnā€™t even over the window lol (may be related to the issue a few posts up not sure)

Pay attention to the mouseā€™s position relative to the window and youā€™ll see it is way further to the left than it should be:

Iā€™ve been using this since yesterday and it mostly seems stable! One issue Iā€™m facing is that this plugin kept enabling itself in this position every time I enter Play/Run modes despite not having it open while editing

Itā€™s now stopped appearing but I see a blank plugin window in that position for a split second around the time the default loading screen closes.

Hello, I am thrilled to see that we can now move the 3D viewport from its default location ā€“ itā€™s a fantastic update! However, like other users, I have noticed that your new system doesnā€™t support my preferred layout.

Here is my preferred layout:

Iā€™ve observed that this layout is preferred by other users as well, so I hope adjustments can be made to accommodate it.

Nevertheless, I was hoping this update would address the issue of the unpleasant white line that appears between my two vertical screens.

I get this result when the scripts are in full screen, even on a horizontal screen and I find it to be a problem. In addition, I donā€™t see the scroll bars either, which can be annoying and probably what causes this problem.

I hope you can sort this out and ā€™m very happy to talk about t because it has been a persistent inconvenience for me over the years.

2 Likes

This layout update seems great, but Iā€™d really appreciate it if we had the same freedom to resize docks as before!

I use an explorer searchbar plugin which I used to downsize to about 50 pixels in height, now the minimum is 125 making it occupy too much.

If this could be addressed I think this is a good update, collapsible docks not being present are also a nuisance but I can definitely live without them personally.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video! It looks like it started on the titlebar of the panel and then jumped when you first crossed into the second display?

2 Likes

Yeah so far that vertical split with an upper horizontal split is the one case the new rules doesnā€™t handle. We have ideas for this.

On your script panels, I assume both of those are floating/undocked and then maximized?

2 Likes

Native widget panels drifting on secondary displays on PC is unrelated to this update. Please follow along here for that one. I have been able to repro the issue today and weā€™ll be chasing it down.

1 Like

Can you link or share the name of the specific plugin youā€™re using here?

1 Like

Yes of course, thank you:

Itā€™s similar to the new Explorer searchbar

2 Likes

Yes both of those are floating/undocked and maximized/full screen.

Little demonstration:

Thank you for your interest, it would be great if this problem could finally be fixed!

1 Like

The new update messed with my widget layout and Iā€™m unable to readjust the way it used to be. Any plans to allow placement like I used to have it?

4 Likes

Yes we are working on some ideas for scenarios like this. We released this as Beta primarily to confirm it resolved corruption issues for those affected and to see what else we need to do ā€” so thanks for taking the time to let us know!

3 Likes

Yep thatā€™s correct (charsssss)

2 Likes