Studio windows on 2nd screen saving in different position off edge of screen

Reproduction Steps

I saw this post I can no longer undock the viewport in Studio - #20 by Scottifly where people complain about when using multiple monitors and they just want to drag the Viewport off to their other monitor. Something’s been changed so they can’t drag the Veiwport window to their second screen. In it @robloxtuesdays0611 shows how to close up all their other windows to see the Viewport full screen. Users shouldn’t have to close all their other windows to view their Viewport full screen if they have 2 monitors.

I’m not having that exact issue since I have the Viewport on my main Studio screen, but all my windows are dragged off to my second monitor.
My issue is related to a second monitor as well. The window locations on my 2nd monitor used to be saved perfectly up until about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Both my monitors are identical. Studio is the only program I have this issue with.

Expected Behavior

If everything was working properly Studio wouldn’t move ANY of the windows.
Here’s how they use to be saved and Studio opened exactly the way I’d left it in the previous session:

You can see they all align perfectly.

Actual Behavior

Now when I open Studio EVERY time it pops up this way:

The Explorer, Properties, and Output windows are all moved up about 10mm, which moves the tops of the Explorer and Properties windows above the edge of my screen. I have to grab the bottom of each of those windows and drag it completely up to the top which (for some reason) moves the top edge of the window down enough that I can grab it and pull it away from the edge of the screen.

Workaround

I’ve tried moving the Explorer, Properties, and Output windows back to the locations I want them in. The next time I open Studio they are moved up again.
I’ve tried resizing the Explorer and Properties windows so they aren’t even near the edge, or are even lower than the top edge of the screen so if they do move up then they will appear correctly.
No difference. They still show up above the screen edge.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-12-11 00:12:00 (-08:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-12-27 00:12:00 (-08:00)

8 Likes

So I did another experiment when opening Studio just now.
I opened a smaller place thinking the load time of the large place I’ve been working on was part of the issue.
It loaded with the windows moved like I posted above.
I closed up that session without saving and I loaded another place and noticed the windows moved up (and left as well!) even further. The Lighting service was the first item visible at the top of my screen.
I closed that session down without saving and then tried a third place. The windows moved up and left again, so the ServerScriptService is now the first visible item in my Explorer window.

I’m using Windows 10 Home, version 21H2
AMD FX™-770K Quad Core Processor 3.50 GHz
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Sorry, I thought the text on the picture would view better.
Basically the green lines were where the bottom right corner of the Explorer window started at.
Yellow was the first reopen and close of Studio.
Orange was the second reopen and close.
Red was the last open.
The Explorer, Properties, and Output are the only ones being affected.

1 Like

This has been happening to me too for about a month or so. I notice that it happens when I have small windows open, separated from the main window.

2 Likes

According to other users and previous bug reports, this happens when starting or stopping playtesting.

2 Likes

I didn’t do anything other than loading in each place then shutting down studio each time without saving and the windows moved.

Do you have any links to the posts/bug reports you are referring to?

Same happening to me. my pluggins are glitched (they have a window of one of my scripts open), my viewport is glitched out of the studio and every time i have to restart the studio to fix the issue.

Are you using 2 monitors as well?
“they have a window of one of my scripts open” is a bit confusing.
Do you have a screenshot of it so we can see what you mean?

1 Like

I’m unable to find the report for this specific bug since it is several months old. However, this bug seems to have the same behavior, except this time it does not happen when starting/stopping playtesting and only when restarting studio.

1 Like

@SubtotalAnt8185 also pointed out this post from 7 days ago. When I tried searching for the issue before making this bug report it didn’t come up when using my search terms.
Looks like the exact same issue. I use my Script window in the same place as my Viewport screen though so I haven’t seen the Script window move.

@Scottifly
This Issue was already solved a few hours after Creating the Topic,

My Solution: I fixed it by pressing a Random Key

Sorry if I left this open for so long, I forgot about it until I received a notification from @SubtotalAnt8185 on two of my Topics

A random key if you type on the script window, or just a random key while in Studio?

It’s still a similar problem that shouldn’t be there as far as I’m concerned. Studio format settings should save in the same manner every time and not need workarounds.

1 Like

Random key in studio, I just pressed a random key and boom, popped back into the center

It completely fixed my issue.

That’s the part I’m confused about, I’m not sure how that would have fixed my issue,

I looked at a bunch of Keyboard Shortcuts but I can seem to find it:

1 Like

They are referring to this:

I’m not sure if this will work in your case.

and @SubtotalAnt8185 I’ve tried other keys, and just tried the ; key, but nothing changes the windows’ positions.

2 Likes

Odd, Idk why it worked for me, I literally didn’t do anything else.

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

I’ve been encountering an issue where the entire game is in a different tab, and it cannot be dragged elsewhere.

Refer to this post:
“Modern Studio” (new docking behavior) has various issues - Bug Reports / Studio Bugs - DevForum | Roblox
I’ve told people to delete the registry key to reset their layout when they have this issue, but it doesn’t appear to work in that case.

1 Like

This is still happening to me consistently as well. Exact behavior as mentioned above.

1 Like

@ElephantMesh as well.
We still have this issue going on.
It happens every time I open Studio for a new session after closing out all Studio sessions.
As a workaround I’ve decreased the sizes of the 3 offending windows and when I start Studio I just manually move them back to the spot I want. I park them away from the top edge of the screen so I can ‘easily’ drag them back after they reset higher up.

1 Like