Docking Updates [Full Release]

Prior to a recent update the output window was able to fit between the left and right docked windows, but now it’s only possible to dock it in a way that takes up the entirety of the width of the screen. Is there any way to readd the option for a smaller bottom window?

Particularly, it seems that you can’t put Output in the “South 1” position

3 Likes

You have to dock another window between the full width south & the viewport. That will allow you to get your old layout back.

Not sure why it doesn’t show you both options at once, I’m going to be making a feature request today for it and cc’ing meshofpaul.

1 Like

Yes this is a known issue. For now you’ll need to stick something into South-0 in order for the South-1 option to appear. We are pretty sure we can change this where both South areas appear so you won’t need this workaround. @Noble_Draconian

3 Likes

i also have this exact same issue, but with a different layout

1 Like

Whenever I do a test clients + server simulation, the client and server windows all keep going to the default widget state (toolbox and terrain editor on the left, explorer and properties on the right, no output) which is EXTREMELY frustrating. Please fix :sob:

[Edit: I realize this feature is still in active development, so take the time you need! But please do look into behavior with test windows, the old docking stuff wouldn’t remember the layouts either (on my macbook, it used to on my PC like a year ago) and I stumbled on this beta feature while looking for solutions]

3 Likes

Can you share more details about your issue and steps to reproduce? Thanks!

Just had this happen to me on Mac from the update this week, my whole layout got ruined and I can’t get back to where I was before.

Yeah I’m sorry about that. The good news is this is because we shipped more improvements this week: you can now autohide panels again and closing the floating Viewport won’t close your editor window.

The bad news is the autohide change requires the layout to reset because the data saved has changed. There will likely be at least one more reset when we move to this being the default docking system but we’ll try to keep the disruptions to a minimum.

2 Likes

@Zouruno With this week’s release (v613.2), we have brought back autohide/collapsing panels.

4 Likes

Can you at least make it possible to set minimum sizes smaller than the default ones? The current minimum height is way too high for any smaller widgets.

For example, my tags widget (minHeight = 20) looks as it should with new docking stuff disabled:
RobloxStudioBeta_YNVqCmgRu7

But with the beta enabled, the widget becomes way too large and unwieldy to be actually useful:
tags

You can grab the divider and resize it vertically, no?

Let’s say I dock your widget and we preserve your min/max sizes. Then I dock a second plugin widget that also has really greedy min/max sizes because that dev didn’t want to bother with making a flexible layout. What should we do in that instance?

1 Like

That’s the issue I’m having here: that is as small as it lets me make it.
RobloxStudioBeta_uvvzXSIEVy
I can’t really see any large issues with letting us set a minimum height lower than the default 100-ish pixels it is right now. At worst you’d need to resize the slot back to the default minimum height when switching to another widget.

1 Like

okay yeah this is actually near unusable

almost every launch it completely resets my layout and i have to go through and fix it every single time

it’s also still got the problem of completely randomizing my layout even when it doesn’t reset, i’m begging you please stop messing with the docking, it worked perfectly fine before the last docking update

2 Likes

Thanks for the screenshot and info. We will take a look.

Unfortunately the old docking system didn’t work perfectly fine for everyone and this was the only solution to go forward short of completely getting rid of docking altogether. Trust me we’ve been working on this far longer than we would have liked and we’re very eager and motivated to move on to other projects.

4 Likes

as long as in the end the shuffling is fixed i’m happy to hear that

thanks for gridning away at this insufferable task for us :pray:

1 Like

As mentioned before regarding Studio starting page needing “Filing Tabs” for our games and projects, I noticed another thing that seems odd.

How come we can’t see what “Friends” only games are listed in the Studio start panel ?
It would be awesome if we can see it in Studio as Public, Private & Friends too.
Many would use the Friends permission for game testers, before going public.

Even on the Dashboard Creations… it also shows those saved for Friends as Public.
So it’s sometimes confusing what is Public or Viewable/Playable by friends only.
I do understand when you on the game landing page, it will show Private, Public (play button) or if for Friends only, it will have the play button or say you do not have permission to play.

It’s a minor issue - but sure would help when there are many games we’re busy with, and they become public by accident, and we don’t pick it up in time, especially with many people working on a project.
Small mistakes can ruin a games introduction (or idea copied/stolen) - but yes, we need to be careful on that ourselves.

The small extra detail on for Studio would help towards that.
Thanks.

Separate discussion from docking but… Start Page will be getting lots of love in the coming weeks/months so the feedback is timely!

2 Likes

I just switched this beta on, and I have to say it’s great except that it still doesn’t fix the random wasted space at the bottom that I can’t do anything useful with (it seems to be used for the diagnostics bar when that’s enabled, but I keep it disabled so just get a bar of wasted space. I put the command text box there but it doesn’t dock there and can’t be resized, so it won’t use the full space)

1 Like

OK! Thanks for the note. Yeah currently that area is where the Diagnostics Bar lives but we may revisit that as a part of the Next Gen Studio UI updates.

Seems like Studio is remembering less now-a-days.
I noticed it before, but thought it was a Laptop issue, but now I see the same on my PC.

1. Toolbox I have used often - but always close it to save space.
  2. Terrain Editor is hardly used (maybe 2 weeks ago)
  3. ThreeDText is an old pain that you are aware of (maybe also used 2 weeks ago).

Again, this is a start-up ‘problem’ - and a minor issue.
So far, things are still docking where we place them - after setting each session. :+1:

2 Likes