Does a game being R6 affect its visibility in ROBLOX's algorithms, vs. if it was R15?

I predominately work for R6 for military-style games (specifically tycoons), like this one, and very few games in their niche seem to use R15.

In May and June of this year, we had a very good peak combined with very good algorithm results (we were #1 on the “Up and Coming” category for a bit), which resulted in us getting to a height of 3,000+ CCUs, and a robux-to-player ratio that was well over 2:1. A combination of unfortunate events, one being our fault and the other being totally ROBLOX’s, killed our steam. Since then, we have struggled to even re-attain 33% of our peak.

Recently, there has been a lot of talk of major changes to ROBLOX’s algorithm for game discovery, as well as constant talks about R6’s supposed impending depreciation.

In some of the replies of the algorithm article above, it was alluded that ROBLOX’s algorithm, in light of disappointing earnings stats for the year, has been changed to favor games with high revenue numbers (even if the game is dubious in terms of its monetization).

I also remember a few years ago, that ROBLOX made a rule that you cannot display the ROBLOX logo inside any media that shows R6 avatars instead of R15.

I am wondering if ROBLOX’s algorithm favors games that use R15 instead of R6, since R6 has seemingly been treated as a thorn in ROBLOX’s side since the COVID era.

4 Likes

While I don’t think the algorithm favors R15 games over R6, the players might. I do know a few people who use UGC bundles that aren’t R6 compatible.

As for myself, I honestly don’t really care what rig type a game uses, though I prefer R6 overall.

1 Like

I don’t even think Roblox knows how their algorithm works… It seems pretty random, but it’s not impossible for an R6 game to get popular. Think of ToH, it came out during the covid era, it uses R6, and it still has players to this day.

We have not been told anything about this. If you want I can ask the analytics team to be sure.

I tend to agree that players like R15, but I am in a difficult predicament with military-style tycoons - most of my playerbase seems to be big fans of R6, and got angry when I suggested switching to R15.

It’s a gamble to convert to R15 to attract more players, when doing so might antagonize and push away some of the old heads.

Yes, I would appreciate if you could ask them about this.

There’s not really much of a difference since most people don’t mind but for obbies you mostly want to stick to R6 cuz of the hitbox’s and also it could effect the presentation of your game a bit but other then that it shouldn’t effect a lot